• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

change PCIe slot - reinstall drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

I would like to take the paddle card out of my other PCIe slot and move my 9800GT to the slave slot in my mobo, so I can see it in my case better. Would doing this cause any issues, like having to reinstall the drivers or would it be a totally transparent change?

Thanks

Technically, it shouldn't matter what slot you use. It may have to "discover" the card again, but a full reinstall of the drivers should not be needed.

You may hit issues though, I had a few boards that did not like having the main video card in the slave slot.

Technically, it shouldn't matter what slot you use. It may have to "discover" the card again, but a full reinstall of the drivers should not be needed.

You may hit issues though, I had a few boards that did not like having the main video card in the slave slot.

If you move the card to a different PCIe slot Windows will re-enumerate the card as a new device in that slot (unless the card has been installed in that slot before) and automatically re-install the drivers for the card in that slot.

Viper

If you move the card to a different PCIe slot Windows will re-enumerate the card as a new device in that slot (unless the card has been installed in that slot before) and automatically re-install the drivers for the card in that slot.

Viper
Thank you, that is what I was aiming for, didn't know what words to use :p

LOL

thanks guys. Probaby not worth messing anything up ill just leave it. I have been lucky with this system as far as stability and bugs goes

Back