• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to stop CPU temp spikes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimchriz

Registered
Hey Guys I had a question.

Right now my e6400 is OCd to 3.2ghz and they only way it is stable is to push 1.45 volts through it seems like a lot i know but thats what it took.

Runs great like this except when I OC my 9800gt and try to play WoW it just restarts the pc when the action gets too intense.
Ive turned the card back to stock and I dont seem to have a problem like this. but im seeing temps on the cpu spike at close to 130F before it was crashing is that too high? Doesnt seem so to me. also my stock dell cooler while designed for the hotter pentium D seems like it takes too long for the heat to go from the cpu to the cooler.
Ive tried to fit a normal C2D cooler but it just plane doesnt fit on the board.
Anyone know of a cooler that will fit or maybe a way to mod the stock one to fit. I already sanded it down smooth to get rid of the rough machining marks on the mating surface.

BTW my overclocking is done via bsel mod as is the vcore.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It sounds more like a Power supply issue or perhaps your clocks on the 9800GT are to high. 130F is about 55C which is still in the safe zone, heck my E8500 hits 72C during stability tests.
Post your rig specs:
MOBO
Power supply
Ram type
GPU clocks

Oh sorry its in my sig which wont display for some reason but here it is.
Dell E520
e6400 OC 3.2GHz
3 gb kingston PC2 6400
Geforce 9800GT 512
XP DX10 hack
PSU is 550 watts cant remember brand of it though has enough amps to run card at least its supposed to

I wasnt overclocking that much because its fast enough stock for what I do.

Of course it shows up now lol

You might be right about that actually I looked up the specs of my psu and it is rated for the min requirements of the 9800gt but it has only a single 12v rail... : /
which is running other things as well obviously.

Might also explain why when I had my 7300gts and my 5.1 sound card wireless card and many fans it did a similar thing I had though it was the sound card but it worked in my other pc fine...

Brand/model of PSU is important though - otherwise we can't know if your PSU is actually capable of outputting what it claims to be able to :p. 550W is perfectly sufficient if its not a POS power supply, though.

Anyway, just beacuse your CPU/GPU temp isn't that high doesn't mean that your overclock is completely stable. Since the problems go away when @ stock, this indicates an unstable OC. Fiddle around a bit more with voltages.

Also, whats this about a XP DX10 hack?

Try Overclocking the GFX card and not the CPU to see if the same thing happens. If it does it could mean that the GPU clocks are to high.

Right...thats why its a "HACK" and it does work its just not always easy to do.

This is only slightly OCd
bc5.png

The temps only get to about 44c under moderate load havnt been able to really test it though been busy.

So it seems temps arent the issue because it runs fairly cool

So its deffinately the GPU overclock that does it.
I had a GPU cooler from another card I had, PCooler brand
Was fairly cheap when I got it and soon after I installed it the fan started making noises it eventually failed so I had to remove it due to the fact that I needed to use the pc and it had an odd sized fan not easy to replace.

I was pretty sure the stock power rangers cooler on the 9800gt was crap but the fan was good quality.
So I removed the fan from the 9800gt cooler and tried to put it on the pcooler heatsink needles to say it didnt fit was to big....

But after I trimed the offending peices it fit remarkably well in the cooler with about only 1/16 or less clearance all around.

The block on the heatsink is made up of copper fins all clamped together with 2 bolts and machined flat but after X amount of heat cycles they werent as flat as they were new so I tightened the bolts and lapped it.
100_0707.jpg

This is how it should have been made in the first place!
I was unsure how good my cheapo HS with the fan stolen from the 9800gt cooler would fair.
But today I logged some temps while OCd (before is crashed again) and its down 13C...from 44C - 31C while under moderate load and 30c - 23c at idle not bad plus this setup is quieter than the 9800gt cooler and the original fan when it wasnt making blender noises.

Oh I forgot to thank the meatball who put the stock 9800gt HS together for striping all the screws. Thanks you ham fisted monkey!

Returned Vid card to stock and although its not frequent it still crashed today going to up the voltage some.

at 1.45 now what you guys think 1.5 or 1.55?
1.55 would be much easier as it would just entail me removing a piece of tape blocking a contact.

Im guessing that this dell mobo has some serious Vdroop but it has no sensor to monitor so I cant be sure.

That PSU appears to be equivalent to a 460W on the +12 V.

Most of the amp. rating of that PSU is on the +5V!

You want a PSU with a higher +12 V for OC'ing in the future!

+5 V is not used for Intel processors and even AMD is using +12 V, the last time +5V was used, was with Asus socket A motherboards!

And the last time Intel used +5V for the processor was with socket 370! LOL!

That PSU appears to be equivalent to a 460W on the +12 V.

Most of the amp. rating of that PSU is on the +5V!

You want a PSU with a higher +12 V for OC'ing in the future!

+5 V is not used for Intel processors and even AMD is using +12 V, the last time +5V was used, was with Asus socket A motherboards!

And the last time Intel used +5V for the processor was with socket 370! LOL!

Ok I see what your saying yah 40 amps on 5v rail? wow. it is an older style psu was already old when I bought it a while ago that might explain it only had one sata plug too I had to splice a couple more in.

Ok So after upping the Vcore to 1.55 its rock solid.
Ive been running prime95 torture test for bout eight hours now no problems and temps never got above 60c if this mobo supported the 1333fsb I would OC it more lol.

Thanks to all that provided input.

I wouldn't agree with that assesement.
460W is plenty to run his current hardware. Heck, it's doable on a good 330W.

Still man if you value your hardware you'd get a better PSU ASAP.

Bah its a dell e520 with a e4600 (will fix sig eventually lol) Its as fast as it will ever be just need a year out of it. it would be fine with the stock psu if I didnt have the 9800gt.
as of now its been running prime95 for 40+ hours no warnings or errors. actually runs cooler at idle now...weird maybe that has to do with burn-in I dont know how that works really.

But yah I hear yah next build will have a better PSU

Back