• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

splicing aftermarket GPU fan to work with ATI Tray Tools...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony4025

Registered
First off, I cut off the 4 wires on my stock VGA fan. Then out of those 4 wires, I connected the black & red ones to my Thermaltake DuOrb VGA cooler. (The DuOrb has 2 wires, red & black, with a molex connector). -However, I don't know where to connect the other 2 wires to.

I need to know where to connect the yellow & blue wires to. I want to monitor & control the fan speed with ATI Tray Tools. So far, I connected the black & red ones, and it's working fine, but I need to do something with the yellow & blue wires in order to control the fan speed.

Original heatsink wires (black, red, yellow, blue):
hvwbqx.jpg

Thermaltake DuOrb wires (black & red with Molex connector):
2z4zos2.jpg

Yes I know there are adapters out there, but I want to do this without going out and buying one if possible. If it's not possible then I'll go buy one.

Looks like the dual orb fans do not have the right IC controllers on it to allow for those functions since they just use the standard molex connector. If you want to control the fan speed of those fans you'll need to use another after market fan controller that will give it different voltages to control it's speed.

Otherwise, stick with the stock VGA cooler...

red and black should be 12 and ground, yellow rpm sence and blue... PWM controler?

as above, not feasible to connect the Duorb to the ati card and control it

Thanks, I just connected it to my Zalman fanmate-2 controller awhile ago, and it worked perfectly. The fans are running COMPLETELY silent now lol.

Still can't see the "RPM" readings tho... but oh well, it seems to be working just fine = )

BTW, I'm thinking of splicing 2 fans to my Zalman fanmate. Will that work?

Will my motherboard be able to handle 2 fans on a single fan header?

EDIT: nvm, I just tried it and it works perfectly = )

Last edited:
Back