• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Password required to access computer via network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exige

Me and my friends are at a LAN party, we're trying to send stuff to each other via network and whatnot, and we've just recently had a ridiculous problem trying to figure out wtf was wrong with my friend's computer. We finally figured out the simple problem was that he had Windows Firewall on, and it was blocking us from connecting to him.

Now we can "connect" to him, but every time we try to connect we get this popup:
wtfnnl.jpg

He can't think of any passwords he's added, and none of us know how he would have set up such a thing. He's even gone through the unnecessary step of giving us every password he's ever used. We've all tried them and nothing has happened.

Does anyone know where the option is to turn this password off so we can connect to him?

Gunna continue to Google search until I get a post here in hopes.

Last edited:
If the Guest account has no password. Leave it Blank.

You will need to allow logins with blank passwords though.
On his computer go to:
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Local Security policy
Go to: Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

And Disable: "Accounts: limit local account use of blank password to console logon only"

Another alternative is to: give the Guest account (or whatever account you want to use, a password)

You may also need to give the folder of the share you are then trying to access the correct permissions.

If the Guest account has no password. Leave it Blank.

You will need to allow logins with blank passwords though.
On his computer go to:
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Local Security policy
Go to: Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

And Disable: "Accounts: limit local account use of blank password to console logon only"

Another alternative is to: give the Guest account (or whatever account you want to use, a password)

You may also need to give the folder of the share you are then trying to access the correct permissions.

So I went through the steps on my computer just to make sure it was good info, and I was happy with it. When we went through the steps on his computer, we got as far as "Administrative Tools" and he doesn't have anything named Local Security Policy. Furthermore I noticed it was a shortcut from doing it on my computer, I got the path, we searched for it on his computer and nothing came up.

So, this apparently doesn't exist on his computer. He's using Windows XP SP3, same as me, I have no idea why it isn't there.

Edit: It turns out I'm on XP Pro, he's on Home, and some google searching shows that Home doesn't have this feature and "suffers" from less security.

Heh, I knew this was going to turn out to be something ridiculously simple and easy.

We ran the network setup wizard and hit "Enable File Sharing of Folder and Printers."

Then I smacked him upside the head.

Thanks!

Back