• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm an idiot, iphone water damage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hajalie24

Ok so yesterday I tried to clear some of my scratches off my iphone screen, I read online that toothpaste works so I tried it, it didn't work for me (probably cause i used the gel type) so I just wiped it off with water. It was still a bit sticky so this time i used soap and I forgot to turn the phone off. So yesterday my phone was acting weird, it had a lot of water streaks on the screen, touch screen was barely working, the headphone jack wasn't working, and it kept turning off and on by itself. Now everything works normal except that there is still water streaks on the screen. My iphone is out of warranty and I have opened it up to replace the headphone jack in it so I don't think apple will take it. Should I reopen it and wipe it with alchohol, or should i leave it in a bowl of uncooked rice for two days?

Well, if alcohol and rice are your best options I say go for the rice first. Try the least invasive option first, if that doesn't work then take it apart. You can't really hurt anything by putting it in a bowl of rice but you could potentially damage something by taking it apart and cleaning it with alcohol.

Are these water streaks on the inside or the outside of the screen? I'm a little vague on that. Also, if the headphone jack wasn't working before the current problem with it might be unrelated to the water. The powering on and off could be the result of soap, water, or toothpaste that worked its way down around your power button. Otherwise, the streaks could be confusing the touch screen.

right now im trying the rice trick, if it doesnt work ill try cleaning it with alch. i cant really tell if the streaks are inside or outside

I've always used baking soda. Also, if theres a foreign substance in there; with the battery disconnected, you can leave the circuit board in purified water (like a brita filter). Brita water is so clean that foreign substances will cling to the water molecules.

if you have some silica gel from your shoebox, try that in a dry cupboard. it saved my phone when my baby sister submerged it in her mouth.

I used a hair dryer when I dropped my Razr in the toilet 4 years a go and that worked.

We gotta be more careful... I found my iphone laying in my driveway Friday when i apparently did not fasten it in its holster correctly.:eek:

i still see some streaks now, but now my speaker isn't working for apps and games :( it works if i play a ringtone though

This situation isn't getting any better...

Check out this website:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

They have do it yourself fix it guides for all of the iPods. They might have something there that will show you how to replace the speaker or clean your screen effectively. The guides are really easy to follow and they have great pictures.

thanks for that link, i'll see what I can do but I'm thinking of just selling this and buying a brand new ipod touch.

Back