• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

has anyone used thermoengine socket 370 coolers as northbridge cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarthel

back in the early 2000, these were famous for starting the use of "heatpipe" technology in CPU cooling (from what I remember).

I'm just wondering what is there performance when used as northbridge coolers.

If you are using one as a northbridge cooler, please reply:
- with feedback on performance
- if you are using the fan it came with

I want to run them fanless in an HTPC.

thanks for the help :)

I had one of those and the "heatpipe" tech used in them was a misnomer and ripoff. The very first ones shipped did have something in the center but it wasn't heatpipe tech as we know it today. I've seen plenty of stuff saying that there was actually nothing found in the "heatpipe when opened and most of them were actually sold with a solid core instead of being made like the originals. And it's performance was actually pretty ordinary even in it's own timeframe. You can probably do a lot better just buying something specifically made for nb cooling.

Yeah it was just a heatsink with a hollow core, in some cases.

Heatpipes have been in laptops longer I believe. Not 100% on that, but seems like I saw some from the late 90's that had heatpipes.

But yeah, that's old crap, not nearly as good as the stuff you find now. Think of it as a regular heatsink.

Did you go digging around a drawer and find one or something? LOL

Back