• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice on aftermarket cooling for my 4850's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hauzdaug

Registered
i apologize ahead of time. i know there are alot threads about cooling for the radeon 4850's but i just wasnt able to find out for sure a few specific issues that i am worried about. i would hate to buy something online and not have it work out. would be different if i could buy from a store and take it back lol.

since summer is coming i think i wanna finally put some better cooling on my two radeon 4850's in crossfire. the issue i am worried about is whether or not these coolers i am looking at are gonna be too big.
i have an MSI K9a2 plat mobo .... with the way its setup , it looks like i might be able to get a decent size cooler inbetween them but i have my sound card in the only spot i can really put it which is in between the 2 vid cards.
i have the sound card in the lowest slot that is just ABOVE the lower vid card. i have looked at the cooler in pictures online and stuff . i have stared inside of my box trying to compare the picture to my box and it just not working lol
i got a good look at a picture of 2 accelero s1 rev2 and they look very big and i dont think ill be able to use them
im looking at the zalman vf1000 right now and it looks like it might actually work out.

what do you all think? i dont wanna take my sound card out for cooling. does anyone know for sure or themselves have something similar to me? i forgot to add that it actually looks like i have about a slot and a half of room between the top video card and my sound card. is the zalman vf1000 larger than a 1 slot cooler?

i appreciate any help i can get with this. Thank you

If it's this mobo , then there's no cooler that will clear that PCI slot and allow you to use your sound card other than the stock cooler.

If you want to use the zalman vf1000's, then I suggest either using the onboard sound or get a PCIe X1 soundcard.

Because of the limited space between the 2 PCIE slots & the fact you want to continue using your PCI sound card, there's really not much else in terms of options for you.

I have a pair of Scythe Musashi's for my 4850's, but then I don't have anything between them. This is my board

Last edited:
thx for your reply neb. yea that look pretty close to my mobo although i dont think thats mine exactly...
your probably right tho .... maybe i will tryin using the akasa vortex's. i think they are single slot and might at least do a little better than these stock coolers. they dont look too bad either lol ... owell i think thats my best bet atm then unless someone knows of a better cooler than that

thx again neb

EDIT : this is my board here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...SI K9A2 Platinum ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

i have the 2 light blue slots populated with my vid cards ... my sound card is in the pci slot just above the bottom card

Oh I see. Why don't use the 2 dark blue slots and still use the last pci slot for the sound card? The Vortex's will clear both slots and you'll have room :)

according to my mobo manual it tell me to use those 2 slots for crossfire mode specifically... the 2 light blue slots support pcie2.0x16 and the 2 blue slots support pcie 2.0x8

Back