• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side case and tube question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kucf.

Registered
Hey people,

Ok so I thought of an idea. Tell me what you think of it and if it will be any good.

This is the sid of my case with a tube on it which directs air to the cpu, heatsink and fan: (Question at the bottom)

Pic1: the side of ym case and tube
Pic2: Where it directs air to (the cpu, heatsink fan)

5364DSC04399.JPG

1068DSC04147.JPG

Now if I put a 92mm or 120mm fan in between the tube and the side of my case would that help cool down cpu more?

so you basically want 2 fans instead of 1 correct?

here is what you have now

side panel | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink

here is what i mean

side panel | fan | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink

it would help a bit but you should think about any after market cooler and getting rid of the tubing/duct with nothing or a fan.

also try changing out the tim if you haven't already.

try lapping the heatsink and ihs after reading up on it.

so you basically want 2 fans instead of 1 correct?

here is what you have now

side panel | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink

here is what i mean

side panel | fan | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink

it would help a bit but you should think about any after market cooler and getting rid of the tubing/duct with nothing or a fan.

also try changing out the tim if you haven't already.

try lapping the heatsink and ihs after reading up on it.

side panel | fan | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink thats what i mean.

Also im not areally a computer genius and dont know alot of the technical terms. What is the 'tim' and also what do you mean by lapping the heatsink and ihs

Also doesnt the tubing/duct help?

Tim refers to the paste between the cpu and the cpu cooler (fan). It helps a bit if you use arctic silver 5. Also make sure that it is making good contact between the cpu fan and the processor, this will ensure better temps.

It wouldnt help that much if any at all.

If im right, then you still have the factory mesh/grill on that side panel, and that it self restricts air flow almost by 1/2.

The back case fan, there is a mesh/grill as well with tiny holes, that cuts your airflow by half as well.

Once you remove the factory mesh, grill, then you can add any size fan you want.

Remove both meshes from side panel and back of the case, and you wont have to add any more fans, that it self will improve airflow a great deal. And use these grills instead.

d_1833.jpg

side panel | fan | tube/duct | cpu fan/heatsink thats what i mean.

Also im not areally a computer genius and dont know alot of the technical terms. What is the 'tim' and also what do you mean by lapping the heatsink and ihs

Also doesnt the tubing/duct help?

tim = Thermal Interface Material, its the paste between the heatsink and cpu. it helps fill in all the little cracks and valleys for better heat transfer.

from your post i would stick with buying an after market cooler. if you want to do what i suggested then you need to read up alot on it.

lapping makes the surface smooth and voids the warranty :) it can drop temps 5C or more if done right.

the duct only works with horizontal coolers such as yours.

as for a good after market heatsink i would recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

here is a thread from here about it, which shows mine and what i did to help further cooling.

It wouldnt help that much if any at all.

If im right, then you still have the factory mesh/grill on that side panel, and that it self restricts air flow almost by 1/2.

The back case fan, there is a mesh/grill as well with tiny holes, that cuts your airflow by half as well.

Once you remove the factory mesh, grill, then you can add any size fan you want.

Remove both meshes from side panel and back of the case, and you wont have to add any more fans, that it self will improve airflow a great deal. And use these grills instead.

d_1833.jpg

yup that will help too.

Thanks for the info... This is what it looks like
9759DSC04401.JPG

Last edited:
Thats exactly what i mean. That mesh has to go.

If you are brave enough, i would cut a larger hole for a 120mm fan. That way you will get cooling for your RAM and NB at the same time.

This is what the side of my case looks like. 2x 120mm fans. It cools most parts of my PC; HDD, NB, SB, VGA, RAM. I used window mesh as a filter.

sidec.jpg

Last edited:
But werent you the one saying "It wouldnt help that much if any at all."
if i add the extra fan.

What is a good case fan. Which brand

But werent you the one saying "It wouldnt help that much if any at all."
if i add the extra fan.

What is a good case fan. Which brand

It wouldnt help if you still have the factory mesh.

I use Scythe S-Flex 120mm Fans on the side. And Noctua 2x 80mm on the back.

edited;.

That will sound like a vacuum cleaner. You want something around 20 dBA or less.

And clear fans make more noise in general. So if you want a clear fan with lights, then you will have to find a much quilter fan.

its only an extra 7-9 dba. Does that make so much of a noise difference?

Also alot of review say its quiet. :S

Also, if I have two 120mm fans on the side of my case do I need to change the rear fan?

When I buy the fans where do I screw them into. The side case? If so how am I gonna open and close the side case with comfort with the fans screwed into them?

All side panels with fans in them can be easily removed by taking it off and leaning it on the back of the case. You can also disconnect the fan pins if you want to completely remove it. Its just one wire (or 2 if you use two fans).

I would attach it by drilling holes for the screws and using screw/nut combo. This should be a good learning experience.

If someone can find another thread with fan side mods-im sure this forum has a plethora of them...

Back