• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmt391

Well, my computer randomly started making a horrendous loud buzzing sound today, and to my surprise, the chipset fan on my a8n-e was going bezerk. I removed it and want to replace it.

I've never dealt with chipset cooling, so I need some help. A lot of the coolers I looked at are passive, and I'm not sure that this is adequate. I already have a tube of AS5 so thermal paste isnt an issue, I just need something to cool the chipset.

What price range should I be considering? Do I need a fan?

alright, so I guess I'll order it then - it seems to have gotten good reviews, it's cheap, and 75% of the reviews said it was quiet.

Just a question though:
How do you remove old thermal paste? The CPU came with one of those pads so I've never had to do that

Isopropyl alcohol and let it soften, may need to use a small plastic scrapper, something (similar to what used to mix epoxy resin with) to help remove it as it often hardens quite a bit,

Back