• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400, 45-47c idle on bios screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyler.moriarty

Ill start with saying this is my first build. I have a themaltake V1 HSF mounted on top of my Q9400. No overclocking yet, and havn't finished loading windows yet. In my bios it shows a idle temp of 45-47c, im just wondering if this is a little high for the HSF i have installed on my chip.

Also i didnt do the line of thermal paste rather i spread around a few lines (which i think was to much) I think this is potentially raising my temps on the CPU. My CPU fan is running at idle at around 1300 rpm's. I would think it would be cooler with my antec 900 case.

I have both intake fans on my case set to medium, my rear exaust fan set to high, and my top exaust fan (200mm) set to low.

Any ideas from anyone to drop my temps to the mid 30's prior to overclocking would help a ton. Today when i get home ill try to remount the HSF and see if it helps with new thermal paste. Also what is the best way to clean off the thermal paste i previously applied. Thanx for the help.

Tyler

yah, i have not finished installing windows yet, so was just making sure my idle temp wasn't high before i started running everything.

I just didn't know if that temp would be high or low of what the actual core temp was currently at.

Tyler

:welcome: to the forums

Bios temps are famous for being inaccurate. Sometimes as much as 10c, so I wouldnt worry about your temps until you get Windows installed and can use realtemp or coretemp

That doesn't sound right. Antec 900 cases flow a ton of air. You shouldn't even need to turn the exhaust fans past low.

I'd suspect the heat sink mount. I hate push pins! Reseat it and see what you get.

You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste off.

How about giving us the full specs for your rig?

i agree, DO not trust bios... its only good for abusing your system.

i remember my Rampage II told me my MCP temp was " + " :-/

Thanx a ton for the info guys. Ill assume for now the temp is inaccurate until i get windows running. As of now im having a problem getting my hard drive to format, ill create a second post, and hopefully a few of you intellegent gentleman can help me get it formatted and windows running.

Tyler

Also system specs,
Asus p5n 750i sli mother board
8gb of OCZ Sli ddr2-6400 800mhz ram
q9400 CPU
Themaltek V1 cooler
Antec 900 case
620w modular corsair power supply
9600 GT EVGA nvidia graphics card
Hitatchi 1TB hard drive 7200rpm

I agree that certain mobo's seem to show bad CPU temps in the BIOS. Just make sure that your heatsink is not loose. It should be very tight feeling if it is mounted correctly. If it's mounted correctly, then don't worry about your CPU temps until you can get into Windows and verify them.

Back