• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling my E6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So I have an older Conroe chip that I am going to OC since I am planning on upgrading my Video (dont want the CPU to bottleneck the system) What do you guys reccomend? I have been looking at the Zalman CPSD9700 but I also want something that will fit in my case - I would like to get to 3.0ghz if possible as many have said it is.

What case do you have?

The 9700 will be able to get you to 3.0ghz just fine. There are cheaper options out there though. The Xigmatek S1283, Sunbeam CR CCTF 120, Tuniq tower 120, and a few others are also very good heatsinks and all are considerably cheaper than the 9700.

Axis

What case do you have?

The 9700 will be able to get you to 3.0ghz just fine. There are cheaper options out there though. The Xigmatek S1283, Sunbeam CR CCTF 120, Tuniq tower 120, and a few others are also very good heatsinks and all are considerably cheaper than the 9700.

Axis

Unfortunately I have a generic case right now but I've had it for years since I have never done any real overclocking. It has front, rear, side and a top case fan. I was looking at upgrading to the Thermaltake Element S as it got good reviews at PureOC.

I just read the review of the Xigmatek S1283 also at PureOC and it sounds good for $40 but I want to reach 3.0ghz just fine as you said above.. I would rather spend a little more if need be.

If you're upgrading to a bigger case, you might as well get a Scythe Mugen/Ninja 2 :]
they're awesome coolers and fairly quiet too with good price/performance ratio.

Could prob push it beyond 3.0ghz. I used to run mine e6600 at 3.5-3.6ghz. Something like that. I bumped it back down now though because I put it in my htpc and just have the stock intel cooler on it, running at 3.0ghz I think.

The stock heatsink could probably run your CPU at 3Ghz, albeit warmly. I bought a known good clocking used E6600 that is in the house PC that only needs 1.31V to run 3Ghz and it only reaches 40's load with this(click me) running a low speeed yate loon fan that doubles as a case fan.

The stock heatsink could probably run your CPU at 3Ghz, albeit warmly. I bought a known good clocking used E6600 that is in the house PC that only needs 1.31V to run 3Ghz and it only reaches 40's load with this(click me) running a low speeed yate loon fan that doubles as a case fan.

Well I dont mind spending a few bucks on a better cooling solution and besides I can always use it when I upgrade to an i7 I suppose.

Only problem I see with the Zalman 9500/9700 is neither supports the i7 which would give me a better ROI for the future - May have to go with the 9900 which according to the Zalman site actually weighs a bit less than the 9700.

The Xigmatek is a great sink. i currently have one, but I also just bought a TRUE. I'll let you know which is better. (I have an e6750 which is close to your CPU)

The Xigmatek is a great sink. i currently have one, but I also just bought a TRUE. I'll let you know which is better. (I have an e6750 which is close to your CPU)

you know wich one is better.. and its not the xigmatek :D

sorry xigmatek guys, im just kickin sand around :)

The Xigmatek is a great deal for the money and would do a great job keeping that E6600 cool.

You probably would be able to run that e6600 at 3ghz with the stock heatsink for now if you wanted to try it out.
Just try 9x333 and a bump or two above stock voltages(9x333 on my Q6600 only needs 1.25 which is my VID) You will also have to change the memory divider to 1/1.2 so your fsb will be at 333 and the ram at 400.

The Xigmatek is a great deal for the money and would do a great job keeping that E6600 cool.

You probably would be able to run that e6600 at 3ghz with the stock heatsink for now if you wanted to try it out.
Just try 9x333 and a bump or two above stock voltages(9x333 on my Q6600 only needs 1.25 which is my VID) You will also have to change the memory divider to 1/1.2 so your fsb will be at 333 and the ram at 400.

Thanks for the input I will hopefully be able to sit down and play around with it this weekend when I have some free time - I will post my results

Back