• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded 780i cooling w/ heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeHappy

I did some minor mods that I saw in another thread on the evga forums. I wasn't sure how much it would actually end up helping, and I am pleasantly surprised!

I added heatsinks (from an old gpu) around the nb cooler. I was running at about 52c beforehand with the coolermaster fan mod I did previously. This mod ended up dropping me to about 49-50c after some p95 runs.

The main thing that this mod ended up doing is allowing me to run my cpu with .5v less than I previously needed in order to be prime stable! That's an awesome drop in vcore for some little heat sinks...

I used to need 1.5v to be stable @ 3.6ghz, anything less and she would bluescreen immediately. Now I am able to run 3,6ghz @ 1.44v while being completely stable:burn:

The voltage decrease ended up dropping my temps about 7c, on average, while running p95 small ftt.

I am very pleased with how this went with this little effort. I really appreciate the guys over at the evga forums as well, check out the original thread!
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=213483&mpage=1&key

Excellent results. Though Im not certain why it allowed lower volts on the CPU. When I modded my 780i NB it didnt do anything but lower the temps a couple C, it didnt help my overclock at all and th temp drop was much more significant also. Oh well, I ditched that board for a reason I guess..

Damn, work wont let me look at the pictures!!!

hmm , i thought that was an aftermarket fan lmfao

mine isnt a Coolermaster =[

where did you get your Heatsinks?

ive done the same mod, but my sinks are made for GDDR and they are TINY!@

Lol my NB fan is an aftermarket fan...of sorts.

Its an old cpu cooler I pulled from my old desktop. I cut off the stock fan and put this one back on the shroud so it looks stock. It pushes a lot more air and has a bearing that I cleaned and re-greased before installing. I have it hooked up to my fan controller so I can control it in realtime.

I cut a larger heatsink in half with my handy dandy dremel. I got them off of the gpu I fried.

Lol my NB fan is an aftermarket fan...of sorts.

Its an old cpu cooler I pulled from my old desktop. I cut off the stock fan and put this one back on the shroud so it looks stock. It pushes a lot more air and has a bearing that I cleaned and re-greased before installing. I have it hooked up to my fan controller so I can control it in realtime.

I cut a larger heatsink in half with my handy dandy dremel. I got them off of the gpu I fried.

have you had a problem with your GPU temps rising due to the increased flow blowing towards the GPU? ( i was going to recommend turning the fan so it sucks lol )
:burn:

have you had a problem with your GPU temps rising due to the increased flow blowing towards the GPU? ( i was going to recommend turning the fan so it sucks lol )
:burn:

I really couldnt tell you because I did the fan mod before I got my new 260. I was posting here about the new heatsinks around the cooler. If I put my hand between the nb cooler and my 260 I can feel the hot air, but nothing crazy.

The heatsinks I added on the side of the cooler dissipate a good bit of heat for passive cooling. I can definitely tell the difference when touching the cooler. It used to be almost too hot to touch, now its warm, but bearable.

With that NB heatsink, damned either way on the fan... sucking through the sink you take the heat off the card through the NB, blowing through the heatsink, you dump it on to the back of the card.

I put another 40mm to the right of it, blowing towards the rear to help that issue... Dropped the GPU and NB by 2C.

Like I said though, I bailed on that board quick like. P45 + Penryn Quad FTW! :)

Back