• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade my 8600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluenotebacker

I don't even think they sell the card in my sig anymore, so I can't find anything to make comparisons with. Any suggestions for the best new card? I'm not going to be running SLI, just need one card. Thanks!

If you can afford it go with a gtx 260 with the 216 shaders, they seem to be a great bang for the buck right now. That is if your a gamer that does fps and would benefit from a new powerful card.

Depending on the games played, a faster processor would be needed to avoid the cpu from becoming the bottleneck.

I pretty much only play World of Warcraft, at least for now. Getting 60-80fps with above avg settings. How about this one from EVGA?

I know I'd have to at least upgrade my PSU, and a CPU upgrade may actually come before the video card. Kinda looking at the Allendale 2.4GHz unless I sve up and go straight to Quad Core

I am not a WoW player but from what I understand that game relies heavily on cpu, so a cpu upgrade should help alot. Hopefully a WoW player can chime in to confirm.

I'd reccomend a 216 sp version since thats the older 192.

I'd go with THIS (XFX) or THIS (EVGA).

So I'd def check into a cpu upgrade first if it is true that WoW does need alot of cpu power, then go with the 260 if you want.

Are you running that cpu at stock??? You have a very nice board there to OC that CPU to make sure you are not bottlenecking at the CPU. I don't see why that Vid card would slow you down too much unless you are raiding or in very populated zones. I know in EQ classic, a 128M card would run fairly well in a 72 person raid in some of the newer eye candy zones. Granted it's not Lich King zones but the newer expansion for EQ is pretty graphically intense. Not sure how the 2 compare but seems about the same. I only tried WoW for the 10 day trial so really can't comment on WoW raids.

Video card does matters in WoW. I've tried wow on a qq6600 comp with 8600gt. That doesn't works. I doubt the cpu will the bottle neck in that case.

Anyway. Now I'm using 260gtx and e8400 @ 4gz and that works well. pretty much 75 fps, thou I drops against 55 sometimes when flying and circling my screen. But that's on 1280*1024 with max details and 4aa.

Back