• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! I think I fried it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aztroth

well, im on my phone right now, so im gonna try and make this short. as some of you may know, or can read in my sig, Ive been working on ocing my cpu. that being said, Ive been completely stable like this for a couple days now. well I had just hooked it up to my tv to watch a movie. I finished, moved it back into my room and hooked it back up. I have a friend whos hdd is starting to go, so i was going to try and salvage most of his data for him. I plugged it in and everything started up but no post. no beep code. nothing. i unplugged the hdd and tried again. same. i cleared the cmos. same thing. checked all the plugs to make sure i didnt knock anything loose. same thing. HELP! :(

ok, false alarm on the cpu being fried, its alive and plenty kicking. i got it to give me a beep code by taking the gfx card out, and i put it back in and it decided to post. that was ALL i did. so i plugged that hdd back in and the whole thinh started over again. again, it was remedied by taking the 4850 out and turning it on and then putting it back in and turning it on. now my question is, why the hell would plugging an hdd in do that?

I'm far from a guru at this stuff, but I'd guess it's a power issue as in your PSU wasn't able to keep up with the extra power requirements of the added HDD. How many watts is your PSU?

its a 500 watt, and i doubt thats the case since until recently I had a third hdd and a second 4850 running without any problems.

i think you probably bumped it or something..that happens with my xonar d1 and the 4870 i got..my case is screwey and they can slip out if easily nudged or bumped..
my self i was just troubleshooting my d1 again because i had bumped it when i pulled out the 4870 to air clean it..

At times bois will hang at boot due to a bad component get hung in a loop and forget what it is doing and forget to time out. I say pull the suspected bad drive reset bios and try again. Could also be something shorting the mobo.

Last edited:
if that HDD is causing problems, don't plug it into your computer. What you should do is purchase one of the IDE/SATA to USB converters and use that instead, real cheap on ebay.

what kind of hard drive is it? whats the configuration, is the jumper set for a master w/slave or something like that?

+1 on the IDE/SATA to USB converter btw

Check and make sure the PCIE power plug on the video card did not get bumped or unplugged

Put my whole system together recently and pulled and replaced the video card so many times when i got the system completely back together I forgot to hook up the secondary power source lol

i think you probably bumped it or something..that happens with my xonar d1 and the 4870 i got..my case is screwey and they can slip out if easily nudged or bumped..
my self i was just troubleshooting my d1 again because i had bumped it when i pulled out the 4870 to air clean it..

naw, I already checked to make sure the gfx card was fully inserted.

At times bois will hang at boot due to a bad component get hung in a loop and forget what it is doing and forget to time out. I say pull the suspected bad drive reset bios and try again. Could also be something shorting the mobo.

well, I had pulled the drive and reset cmos, and nothing happened until I pulled the gfx card, turned it on to get a beep code, then reinserted it and turned it on after having reset the cmos. this happened twice.

if that HDD is causing problems, don't plug it into your computer. What you should do is purchase one of the IDE/SATA to USB converters and use that instead, real cheap on ebay.

that doesn't sound like a bad idea, however, Im already finished pulling everything off of it that I was going to get. its purely curiosity at this point as to why.

what kind of hard drive is it? whats the configuration, is the jumper set for a master w/slave or something like that?

+1 on the IDE/SATA to USB converter btw

samsung sata 200 gb. I have no idea on any other specs, as it was pulled out of a vaio and handed to me. as far as jumpers go, I pulled all the jumpers off to run it as cable select.

Check and make sure the PCIE power plug on the video card did not get bumped or unplugged

Put my whole system together recently and pulled and replaced the video card so many times when i got the system completely back together I forgot to hook up the secondary power source lol

power cable was plugged in, definitely.

I just think the whole scenario was wierd...

Back