• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is The AMD Phenom II X4 920 Quad Core is good for the price ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am very happy with mine I run it stock though.

I do wish I had gotten the Black edition instead because my "good" board the ht link multiplier will not scale downwards.

Always safer to go with a Black Edition for overclcoking.

But I am running 2x 4850s in crossfire OCed to 690/1100 pII 920 at stock (will get around to ocing it on the new board eventually) and am BLOWN away how rock solid stable and stutter free games are now :)

Hate to say it but I am happier with it then I was with either of my intel quads

thanks for the responce !!!

but i have seen the canadians price and its 240$ for normal edition and 300$ for Black edition.. so its too much for my budget !

its around 200$- my budget any corespond cpu ??
<
thanks ! neuro!

I have one, I really like it, overclocks pretty easy to 3.5, over that gets harder. very good for the price...I'de recomend it for the price bracket, but what are you upgrading from?

well, I dont know what comarative prices are for you, but down here, a 920 runs ~$210 and a 940 BE runs ~$230... the better choice is the 940 imo...

I love my 940 and would recommend it to anybody
Now the 920 is the same thing, just without the super helpful unlocked multiplier. It will be a little tougher to overclock.

thanks for the responce !!!

but i have seen the canadians price and its 240$ for normal edition and 300$ for Black edition.. so its too much for my budget !

its around 200$- my budget any corespond cpu ??
<
thanks ! neuro!

he wants on for around 200$ not 300 so id reccomend the 920(normal edition)
or....the phenom II 720 triple core....its probably 150-170 canadian
and it will easily outperform any phenom 1 this thing even blows away the 9950 overclocked....
so look into that
also what are you upgrading from?
and what will the cpu be used for?

I agree with Max that he should go with a 720. The canadian prices seem to be outrageous and importing them through customs would take roughly a month. So a 720 would keep him under budget and still give some pretty good performance at 3.6-3.8ghz.

I got a Phenom II 940 BE a couple weeks ago and I am also very happy with it's speed, overclockability, and price. It replaced my 9850 BE, which I was very happy with. I didn't realize how much faster the 940 BE would turn out to be. :eek:

I was getting 3.6Ghz with very little voltage increase on the mobo in my sig, but it needed a bit more for solid Prime95 stressing. At 1.55v and 1.325 CPU-NB voltage 3.75Ghz is do-able. I played around at 3.875 Ghz last night, but it's not quite stable. Can't load WinXP at 4Ghz as of yet, but still playing:beer:.

chance....these PIIs are monsters.... i did a 4ghz suicide run last night at 1.55v
for the 6.5ghz record they used nearly 2v
anyways yes a even a 3.4ghz, even just a 3.2ghz 720 will outperform all the previous phenoms
i believe it may be a better gaming cpu at the moment then the PII quads except maybe on quad core loving games like crysis farcry and GTA IV

chance....these PIIs are monsters.... i did a 4ghz suicide run last night at 1.55v
for the 6.5ghz record they used nearly 2v
anyways yes a even a 3.4ghz, even just a 3.2ghz 720 will outperform all the previous phenoms
i believe it may be a better gaming cpu at the moment then the PII quads except maybe on quad core loving games like crysis farcry and GTA IV

I do 3.8Ghz @ 1.55V for my daily settings
PII's use SOI rather than High-K so It can doesn't have the electromigration at higher voltages(It's still possible to have electromigration, but it takes alot of vitaman V and a long time)

I do 3.8Ghz @ 1.55V for my daily settings
PII's use SOI rather than High-K so It can doesn't have the electromigration at higher voltages(It's still possible to have electromigration, but it takes alot of vitaman V and a long time)

1.55v is quite high for that clock. what stepping is your chip?

Ahh, I see. I still don't get what the difference is between high k gates and SOI. SOI is very simple because I can somewhat understand the use of silicon to isolate the conductors, with the whole planar process. But High k gates sounds way too complicated and is just what intel would do.

im upgrading from nothing! i got a laptop and i want to build a pc desktop to play games of blizzard and much(wow,...) and i dont even know how to overclock im a young(16 year old) and im not that famillar with pcs ...

WOO! join the youngin club! (14) I started basically with no help when I made my decision to build my first comp so you are in the good boat. :D I would say that you don't need to go overboard in any particular category on your first build. According to the vista experience score my system is relatively balanced ( then again whos isn't all 5.9's?) so I'm happy with my first attempt. I can play any game I want and since I upgraded from and extremely dated celeron single core, this is blazing fast.

There seem to be a "fire" sale of the AMD Phenom II 940. If you checked out slickdeals, basically it can be had for $190 from Newegg. A lot of people believe this is because the 945 is coming out and they are clearing out the inventory before that happens. I say you should jump at the deal if you have a fairly old system like AMD Athlon X2. If you have Phenom core already, I would wait until the DDR3 get cheap enough and just do a platform jump to AM3.

In your case since you have laptop, I would wait for 945 AM3 and buy a motherboard with both DDR2 and DDR3 support. There is no point in investing into AM2 since the future will belong to DDR3 memory just like DDR2 replaced DDR3.

Last edited:
.....solstice
which foot is in your mouth? left or right?
there already is a 945....940 on an am3 board
its going to be 955
and pchells give me a minute ill build you a budget gamer on newegg and post pics of the cart and let me know what you think

My guess is that with Phemom II 940 + decent overclocking motherboard + 4GB will set you back around ~$380. It can go up and down depending on the deals of the day.

Back