• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Parts, New Life!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boondawg

I couldn't sleep and was looking through all the computer stuff in mt closet.
I had that 2-way mirror-modded Sunbeam UFO Clear Acrylic ATX Cube Computer Case laying around with all that unused lighting, but I didn't want to put any of my good computer guts from my other 4 house systems in it, becouse the cube just didn't fit in anywhere. Not well enough to sacrifice one of the good systems for. So I dug around and gathered up spare parts I had laying around from here & work, and built a somewhat outdated but crank'n system:

Motherboard - VIA P4PB 400FL
Processor - P4 - 2.4MHz Northwood
Memory - 2 Gigs Patirot 400MHz
Videocard - ATI Radeon X850XTPE
Harddrive - 30Gig Seagate ATA
Powersupply - Startek 300W
CPU Cooler - Zalman 7500 Cu LED
Northbridge Cooler - Cooler Master Blue Ice Fan
Case - Sunbeam UFO, 2-Way Mirrored On One Side, Lighted Feet, Lighted Case, 2-120mm Lighted Fans

Z1.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z5.jpg

Z6.jpg

Z7.jpg

Z8.jpg

It ain't new-school, but it actually games it up pretty good!
Those old 2.4 Northwoods & those X850XTPE overclocks about as good as anything going today.
The 2.4 will go to 3.0 on the Zalman cooler, and the ATI X850 XT Platinum Edition's core comes clocked at 540MHz, but it goes to 600MHz easy as pie & and the memory comes clocked at 590MHz but goes to 615MHz just as easy.

It all cranks up fairly nicely for gaming.
Not bad for a system built on Hunter-Gatherer skills in the middle of the night.....................

Heck if you really want a change, paint that case with glow in the dark paint. Plastic cases are easy to paint and still have a clean look. You scuff the insides with ultrafine scuff pads, wash them clean and then use adhesion promoter. Let that dry mostly then start painting or even air brushing it. This way it cleans up the placement of lighting while allowing it to glow and be protected from chipping.

Back