• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

750i ftw Air Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It has all the cooling you need. So dont mess with it.
Really. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/evga-nf750i-sli-ftw_9.html
The chipset cooler on EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW mainboard is efficient enough for nominal work mode, but during overclocking when the chipset voltage is increased, it can no longer cope. The heat distribution system is not designed right. The central heatsink gets scorching hot, while the additional heatsink remains just a little warm, because the heatpipe leading to it goes out of the middle of the central heatsink instead of its base. So, even though theoretically the mainboard can work just fine at 500MHz+ frequencies, in reality it turned out unable to cope even with 450MHz FSB. I am having this issue right now trying to hit 519mhz fsb. It is totally stable for 45 minutes to an hour, then it will freeze up and the northbridge sink is hot to touch. Thanks for the help, though.

Get a 120MM fan and place blowing AIR on to NB and SB directly.

Have you changed the TIM for NB and SB? Usually EVGA slaps way too much TIM on those factory coolers.

p.s.

You can also change out just then NB fan as well.

i would try swapping the tim out and pointing a fan at the board first, then buy better heatsinks if that doesn't work.

i believe i dropped 10C on my board changing out the tim. they put a massive amount.

i would try swapping the tim out and pointing a fan at the board first, then buy better heatsinks if that doesn't work.

i believe i dropped 10C on my board changing out the tim. they put a massive amount.
Wow okay thanks I'll try that.

I took off the heatsink and holy crap they basically scooped the paste on there. I cleaned it off, reapplied and bios reads it as 9-10 degrees lower. I'll try overclocking again and see where I stand.

ya its pretty nasty what they do and at the same time neat how much of a difference you can get with just the amount of paste and brand.

ya its pretty nasty what they do and at the same time neat how much of a difference you can get with just the amount of paste and brand.
No kidding! This is fantastic now I have a stable overclock at 4.25ghz with my e8400 (500x8.5). I can go to 512 fsb but whats the point I have to give a lot more vcore and I end up with more heat. If anyone's interested: e8400 1.25v vid @ 4.25ghz w/1.37 vcore. FSB @ 1.25v, NB @ 1.5v, SB @ 1.25v, and ram @ 2.2v linked 1:1 1000mhz 5-5-5-15. Ram is OCZ Reaper. Thanks for the suggestion to reapply the paste... it was the ticket :thup::clap:

hmm , i should get 1:1 memory o_O , that looks interesting but knowing me ...

ill probally bump up to 9X and lower vcore lol , im not fond of having 1.31++ Vcore for 24\7 for only 4.2

hmm , i should get 1:1 memory o_O , that looks interesting but knowing me ...

ill probally bump up to 9X and lower vcore lol , im not fond of having 1.31++ Vcore for 24\7 for only 4.2
Honestly you will need a minimum of 1.36 vcore if you have a good chip. For 4ghz I needed about 1.34 vcore.

Back