• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

card for 300watt power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~(o)-(0)~

Hey guys, I'm looking for a card for a friend's PC, low end, as its just a Pentium 4 530 so it won't really be able to take advantage of much else, but just a little something to give it a boost.

I went over to tomshardware and they seemed to recommend the 4650 as the best buy for under 100 bucks, so I went and checked a few out but the power requirements for them are all 350-400w.

So my question is, since this system only has a 300watt power supply, what can I get that would be similar to the 4650's performance, or will the power supply be fine?

The system is an HP m1170n Media center PC.

Thanks for your input

Nick

yeah i suppose they can run on that provided its a very good psu with enough amps in the 12v rail. Still risky though, better to stick with the recommended psu :) The OP might do what you suggested and can end up damaging his psu and his system. Yup, definitely not a laughing matter...

Being a bit pushy are we? Seem to be forgetting that the p4 is such a bottleneck.

I vote for either the 4650 or 4670. They don't use that much power and it's not worth spending anymore on such a old system. The psu should be able to handle those, especially if it can handle a 8800gts 9800gt 9800gt+ gts 250. :)

Back