• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advent 5480 laptop, cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adester

Hi everyone

I have just purchased a Advent 5480 Pentium 3 laptop CPU speed 800 MHZ. I want to know if i can replace CPU with a faster intel CPU? If so what do you recommend i safely go up to as i don't want to fry the motherboard! I have tried searching the web for info but can't get any answers to my question?

I hope someone can offer me some helpful advice?

Thanks

Looking at the service manual for it, it seems you're probably outta luck.

It actually appears to use a standard socket 370 rather than one of the mobile variants, but it only supports 100mhz FSB, and the fastest S370 PIII chip with 100fsb was the 850mhz... even those weren't particularly common. So you're pretty well maxed out with it. You might be able to get a 1.1ghz Coppermine Celeron to work in it, if the BIOS is forgiving, but that chip isn't appreciably faster than an 800mhz PIII for most tasks, so I don't think it'd be worth the trouble.

Okay, well thank you for your info. At least i now know and have saved myself the stress of potentially frying my motherboard! I will make do with the CPU i have.

Thanks again for your response, i appreciate it!

Back