• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE 4850 PASSIVE COOLED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Coming from a previous owner of 3 4850 cards, I would highly suggest staying away from that. Why?

1) This card runs HOT even with the stock cooler (which has a fan)
2) The memory isn't cooled, watch that memory cook!

Even if you needed absolute silence from your computer, I wouldn't suggest this card. The temps it is going to run at will *eventually* shorten its life span.

On the other hand, if its been tested and confirmed to run fanless with that cooler, adding even a small undervolted fan to a nice large HS like that should make a big difference.

On the other hand, if its been tested and confirmed to run fanless with that cooler, adding even a small undervolted fan to a nice large HS like that should make a big difference.
The passive one is more expensive stock. So add the cost of a fan it is even more. Then add the space that it would take up. Not worth it IMO ;)

Of course the fanless one will "work", I'm purely speaking from a longevity perspective.

According to some reviews I read about that Gigabyte 4850 they state that it runs too hot for comfort unless you mount a fan nearby. bit-tech states that the core reached 106C under load, with a fan aimed at the card the highest load temp they got was 48C.

I appreciate the feedback. So for the cost it would be better to go with the asus since I would have to probably add another fan for the gigabyte. I appreciate the input. Any other suggestions or recommendations. I am staying with the ati chipset since my onboard is an ati and it can be crossfired with another ati when I add it.

Back