• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Cooling Evga 295 Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nature41

Registered
Hey guys

anyone have any suggestions as to how to cool my Evga 295 cards? they both run extemely hot even when on idle I get temp of 44-51 c on idle with the fans cranked up to 75% and temps of 65c when hard gaming and the fans up to 100%. the rest of my system stays very cool overclocked i7 at 4.2gh and memory up to 1830. both memory and cpu still stay under 40c even when taxed with hard gaming. I have my system in a Thermaltake spedo plus package and the system is very cool and stable with the exception of the video cards. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Dave.....:bang head

I think the simplest solution here would be to just buy a gpu cooler. They are pretty cheap and relatively easy to install. And of course the usual, getting the dust out of that one fan, airflow, etc.

Thanks for the input, and I had thought about buying a couple of gpu coolers but from what i have read in the forums and on neweggs reveiws of the coolers they are a total head scratch to install. My cards are less than a month old and dust free right now so I don't think dust is a problem yet. I have seen reviews of these cards saying they were hitting temps of 85-90c under load. That is insane and sure to melt even the best capacitors and gpu's switchs right out.

Anyone ever tried to water cool one of these monsters? or is it even possible?
These cards weigh a ton and adding a bigger fan means more weight.

All input is important and thanks for participating.

Dave

i think the best thing for the 295's right now are water cooling them
there are wcing blocks for the 295, but they are pretty expensive.. guru3d got 50c LOAD temps on a 295 with a wcing block

honestly the best thing i could think of is just putting some 120mm fans around the gpu, just getting some airflow should help it a bit

well, are the cards right next to each other? Almost no space in between the first and second. Because my board has an extra slot in between the two so even if I run two dual slot cards, the first will still get good ari flow.

i ran 2 gtx295's with the fans at 100% 24/7 on a MSI X58 Eclipse and then on a EVGA X58 3X SLI. On the MSI board the cards were spaced apart nicely, Never had a temp problem. On the EVGA board the card were pretty much touching. Still i didnt have any problems cooling the cards. I was even able to run more voltage to the cards and overclock the cards without overheating. How is your case airflow?

to start of 60C load isn't that bad for gpu's. i would start by changing out the thermal paste with some MX-2.

get a fan to blow at them.

if none of that get yours temps to where you want then you should look into water cooling.

185 for 1 block for the card.

water cooling them properly would run about 500-600.

They are very hot cards and I haven't seen a air cooler for them yet. It's very hard to make an aftermarket cooler for them using air, don't know if we'll ever see one. You can watercool them but Spawn is right. $350-$400 just for the blocks, $80-100 for a good pump and $60-130 for the rad, $25 for the resiviour, and $50 more for tubing and fittings. Ohh yea, $20 or so for fans. That would be a nice quality setup and your GPU's would load under 60C and be whisper quiet.

Your best bet is to make sure you have a really good case for airflow and blow as much air across the cards as you can. Reapplying thermal paste/take can help. These GPU's can go to 110C I read with no problems.

Your CPU is under 40C when loaded? Hmm, yours would be the first I heard of. What are you loading the CPU with and what are you measuring temps with? Or is your room about 15C?

With the temps you stated you really don't need to do anything at all. I got a couple of these and noticed that blowing a fan to get airflow accross the back of them helped most (well second most to having no case). Even with there being very little space between the cards. When setting the fan for the 295, I didn't notice any temp difference between 100% and 85%, so I just did 90.

If you're looking to go cooler than that, then start saving for what these guys suggested...water cooling.

Back