• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boards with CPU "downcore" ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hughhefner

Playboy Wannabee
Hey guys, My ASUS am2+ has feature called processor downcore in the bios which lets you disable core(s) to run 1-4 cores. Does any other manufacturer have this same feature?
Its handy when certain games don't respond with 3-4 cores, or when I leave the machine on overnight to do downloads.

Last edited:
That's a pretty cool feature. Is it BIOS accessible only or is there ASUS software so that you can modify it in Windows also?

Either way, great point, it would be really useful if your running your computer overnight or something, or not planning on doing any serious work.

The downcore feature from ASUS to my knowledge is only accessible in the bios.
It really shines when overclocking 2 cores to the max and keeping the CPU cooler without having a "vacuum cleaner" in the room with you.
I run 2 cores at 3.9ghz on my tri-core phenom II when gaming, and 1 core at 2.0 ghz at night when filesharing.

Yep - news to me as well. In fact, I've been saying there was no such thing until chew mentioned it in a post without details. So this is a BIOS thing from ASUS? Interesting ...

Yep - news to me as well. In fact, I've been saying there was no such thing until chew mentioned it in a post without details. So this is a BIOS thing from ASUS? Interesting ...

Yes its a Bios thing. Called Processor downcore.

I love this feature and my ASUS board, I just wish these new ASUS boards came with MORE than 5-6 Sata ports. My Gigabyte DDR3 board gives me 10.
Really handy since I have 7 hard drives

Can't imagine 7 HDDs on one rig unless it's a file server, which I guess yours is? I've decided to get a separate RAID card for portability - I'm getting ready to move my RAID and I know there'll be issues ... :-/

heck i just throw together any cheap boxen crunch and also file share....
that elimenates the extra heat in 1 box....

i tink even if some brands dont have it in bios. Amd overdrive allows you to do just that with the AMD smart profile.

I guess we'll have to check out AMD overdrive a bit more closely.

Having a downcore feature has been great for certain apps that don't respond well or at all with more than 2 cores.
Easier to overclock as well. I run my Phenom X3 at 3.8ghz when playing an older DX9 games using 2 cores, it plays faster then 3 cores at 3.5ghz.

Nice to see DFI has this feature as well. Most likely the mobo manufacturers will have these bios options in their more advanced boards, not the basic ones like 740 or 780 chipset.

Back