• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan filters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyst0pia

I need to get a filter for my 80mm side fan. Would a plastic filter or an aluminum filter be better (or what are the tradeoffs)?

I believe the aluminum ones have slightly better airflow, but let some small particles in.
I personally just use black pantyhose stretched across the fan and super-glued to the frame. Trim off the excess when the glue dries.
You should see the looks I get when I go and buy them though.

Pure genius! I've been wondering how I could do decent and cheap DIY version. Fan filters are pricey here in Australia.
Cant wait for the looks while buying pantyhose.....

If you are curious about numbers and airflow, I know I had seen a recent review my vapor:

Review at xtremesys.

Unfortunately didn't see pantyhose, which has long been a DIY solution.

navig

Unfortunately didn't see pantyhose, which has long been a DIY solution.

navig

Thanks for the linkage Navig!

The pantyhose thing was kindof a parallel invention. I'd used them since I began building computers (~10 years) but kept mum about my "dirty" little secret until someone finally mentioned them here a few years back.
I'm very sure someone else had been using them longer, it's far too available a material to not have been.

I'd love to see them added to vapor's tests!

fait throws me into one of diggrr`s bizarre posts again... translated to UK speak, turns out I know of your choice undergarmentage... be carefull to make sure they dont come into contact with the blades... static build up in the case... not good for smooth running or components (probably is a good thing if the machines not wearing them yet [static build up] and you`ll obviously be smooth running).

fine weave domestic window netting (or left over fish nets) works well too.

#Or if you have pet hair or hippy fluff cloging your machine try `imac hair removal cream` or a hair net#

maybe one of thoes bug zappers across the inlet to keep the lint genie out? (I know its where he stashes his lint I keep finding it in there)
just as long as its safe for the cash fairy that visits the back of the sofa!

Last edited:
I never thought about using pantyhose.... hmmmm... you guys use it doubled or singled? And you're using superglue to attach it??? Might have to look into this a little more... Thanks

Yeah, I use a single layer and super glue. Stretch it real tight, and it won't get to rubbing the fan blades...wouldn't last long that way anyway.

In one of my homebuilt cases, I made a fiberglass frame and painted it black. Then I stretched the hosiery tightly over it and tied a knot behind. Mix up some resin and brush it onto the hose where it contacts the frame...easy, you'll smear the paint as the resin can re-liquefy it.
When cured cut off the extra and there you have a custom one in the shape YOU want.
That one is mine! :D

Have you ever seen the filters they use on covered cat litter boxes? I wonder if that would work or if it would cut too much airflow?
I have the Antec 900 and am looking for some sort of filters and that pantyhose just might do the trick for a temporary solution...

Back