• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the difference between the 750i and the 780i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryfox0276

Registered
So im looking at buying a new motherboard, and i want one with an nvidia chipset because my dad works there. So im looking at the 750i and i really like it, but what is the difference between that and the 780i. i can afford both of them, but i dont need all the features offered on the 780. i will only be 2-way sliing, and i have no need for dual lan, so should i splurge on the 780 or save my money to buy something else?
EDIT:
Whoops forgot to post the links to the mobos im looking at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188027
I will really only go EVGA FTW editions, but if you can convince me otherwise...

if you plan on overclocking read up on how high the 750i can clock. I remember reading around the web about the 680i that should be similiar to the 780i. It also had a cheaper brother named the 680i LT which seemed to clock pretty high on regular dual cores but on certain quads had trouble. It also had lower available voltage to the core as well.

I have the EVGA 750i. It doesn't do well with quad core overclocking (i tried). it will overclock well with duo core but that's only from internet reviews. 780i is supposed to handle ram better. go to bit-tech.net and have a look at their review of the EVGA 750i and decide for yourself, i guess.

I have an EVGA 750i FTW, see my system in my sig. Awesome board. The 750i sli is an ok basic board, but for overclocking the FTW is definetely the model to go with. Between the 750i ftw and 780i ftw mostly the difference are the extra USB slots, pci-e slot, SATA slots and extra network adapter.

Yep, so i ended up buying the 750i FTW, it works excellently. There are only two cons, the northbridge fan provided is ridiculously loud. Gonna but a new one. And when i was plugging in my sata components, the sata cables provided do not fit at all well in the connectors (the metal claps dont fit in). I was getting a little angrier and i forced it a little to hard and the top of the connector snapped off. Whoops, now i only have 3. Luckily, my dad works for nvidia, and he said he has a pile of dead mobos at his work. Some day he will just resolder a new one to the board.

Back