Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Computer restarts every few days

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 04:59 PM Thread Starter   #1
ReD43
Registered

Computer restarts every few days

I didnt think it was anything to worry about at first but its been recurring and I'm worried in the long term it might cause a serious problem

I built a new rig a few weeks ago and it seems to run fine. I leave my computer on 24/7 and every few days usually when i play games my computer will restart randomly with no warning. All system temps are fine, i monitor them closely so thats not whats causing the reboots.

Everytime my computer reboots the system clock is reset 1 hour back so im guessing it has something to do with the mobo/bios but i'm not too sure what to do about it.

if anyone has any solutions or opinions on this it would be appreciated
ReD43 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-23-09, 05:05 PM   #2
UglyChild

Have you update BIOS on your mobo? Read your manual and you can find latest BIOS on manufacturers website.

Are you overclocking?
UglyChild is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-23-09, 07:27 PM   #3
doomfan
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD43 View Post
I didnt think it was anything to worry about at first but its been recurring and I'm worried in the long term it might cause a serious problem

I built a new rig a few weeks ago and it seems to run fine. I leave my computer on 24/7 and every few days usually when i play games my computer will restart randomly with no warning. All system temps are fine, i monitor them closely so thats not whats causing the reboots.

Everytime my computer reboots the system clock is reset 1 hour back so im guessing it has something to do with the mobo/bios but i'm not too sure what to do about it.

if anyone has any solutions or opinions on this it would be appreciated
If your overclocking than you system may not be stable, run a stability tester like prime95 to check every time you change the settings. If your not overclocking, various hardware problems can cause instability such as a need for a better power supply, bad Ram and bios errors. If you updated BIOS than try to downgrade to your previous version. If you didn't, perhaps you should consider an update.
doomfan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-23-09, 10:42 PM   #4
kkpudge7

Like stated above please advise us if you are overclocking, because that changes the scenario.

What psu are you running? and also what memory are you using?

Generally random restarts are caused by these two pieces of hardware. Not always, but its a good place to start.

Try running memtest 86 to rule out RAM.

http://www.memtest.org/

GPU: MSi 5870 1GB
RAM: 6GB OCz Platinum tri-channel @1600Mhz
HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar black / 1 TB WD Mybook external / Seagate 120GB for document backup
Case: Thermaltake Armor w/25cm fan
PSU: Corsair TX750
Display: Samsung T240HD 24'' @ 1920x1200 and a Dell 15''

kkpudge7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-23-09, 11:24 PM Thread Starter   #5
ReD43
Registered

thanks for the replies everyone

i should have posted my specs in the original post, sorry that i didnt but here they are

intel e7400 cpu
asus p5q motherboard
4 gb pc6400 ocz reaper ram (2 sticks)
600W ocz modxtreme power supply
sapphire radeon 4850 512 mb video card
WD 320gb hard drive
windows xp pro

Nothing is overclocked and temps are all fairly cool

speedfan reads system @ 30C, CPU @ 35C and both cores at 40C when under load and fairly lower when idle

video card runs at 40 idle and up to 55 under load

I havent updated my BIOS at all. this was my first build and everything went so smoothly when i put it together that i didnt think i needed to...i just installed my OS and video/sound drivers.

I will update my BIOS and run the memtest tommorow. thanks again
ReD43 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.