• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a 775 sink work on a 1366?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

I've got a good Xigmatek Heat sink from a Q6600. I would like to mount it on my i7 920 to see if it will drop my temps below the stock sink.

will this make it so I can mount it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233027

EDIT!: I posted this before I thought about it. The difference between the two is 8mm. (75 holes are 72mm apart, the holes on the 1366 are 80mm apart.) There currently is nothing (that I have found so far) available that will make it so you can mount a 775 HS on the i7 otherboard.

There are plenty of bolt through kits for either socket, but nothing (that I've found so far) that will turn a 1366 mount, into a 775 mount.

Nuts. I was hoping to be able to use my old HS...

Last edited:
Straight from the review of that CPU bracket:
Pros: The cooler works with 1366 with the support bracket that newegg sells. It is relatively quiet and has handled everything i have thrown at it. On the gigabyte ud4p it fits fin without blocking anything.
Cons: The protective sticker for the base left an adhesive layer on the heatsink when it was removed. Some rubbing alcohol took care of it but because of the way the heatpipes are set up some of the adhesive made it between the block and the pipes. I dont know if mine just had some packaging issue or if all of the are like this but there are better methods out there.
The fan installation was kind of a pain but it is in there. You really have to pull on the rubber nubs to get them into the fan and the heatsink.
Other Thoughts: Xigmatek should get a plastic cover which they could tape to the top of the block to avoid exposing the base to adhesives that leave a residue. This was the only thing that really bothered me with the cooler and i feel that it is a mistake of the companies that could easily be rectified wit better packaging.

just as long as there's a 1366 bracket for that cooler, it should work shuodln't it? :shrug:
not sure about your Xigmatek cooler, but the TRUE had a 1366 bracket replacement a few days after the i7 came out

Back