Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Cyber Deals
Cyber Deals NOT FOR SELLING OR TRADING!!! Hot Deals from vendors. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

Acer Extensa EX4630 Notebook $399 Free Ship Newegg

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 11:10 PM Thread Starter   #1
Maxvla

Acer Extensa EX4630 Notebook $399 Free Ship Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L0A-_-34115536

Model EX4630-4922
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Pentium dual-core T3400(2.16GHz)
Screen 14.1" WXGA
Memory Size 2GB DDR2
Hard Disk 160GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card Intel GMA 4500M
Video Memory shared memory
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Type I/II PC Card Slot
USB 2
Video Port 1 x VGA
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
Webcam Yes
Battery 6-cell lithium ion

Dimensions 13.3" x 9.7" x 1.2-1.6"
Weight 5.3 lbs.

Manufacturer Warranty
1 year limited

Thinking about picking one of these up for myself and maybe one for my parents as well. This appears to be a great deal on a decently spec'd no frills laptop. Has good reviews and the Extensa line appears to have decent durability.

Add http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231147 to double your ram to 4gb total for $18.00.

Not definite on ending date, but the email said the promo codes (for other items, this doesn't use a code) expired 3/30/09 so I wouldn't wait too long.

Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX460 1GB
Intel X-25M 80GB SSD
Magnetics - 2x2TB 4x1TB
Corsair HX850W PSU
NEC DVD-RW
Maxvla is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 03:36 AM   #2
bryan_d

pretty good find.

I love the specs:

LCD Features: Glare

Too funny,

Bryan D

Heatware
bryan_d is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 05:41 AM   #3
MadMan007
Magical Leopluridon Senior

10 Year Badge

EOL'd 12-14" notebooks like this are what keeps me from caring too much about netbooks.

"This had better be frikkin' important. Is the meadow on fire?"
MadMan007 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 07:47 AM   #4
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

Definitely a good laptop, and while it might be $50-100 more than most netbooks it's actually WORTH the $100 more (which is not always the case). That being said, I wouldn't pay full price for this at $550. Could get (2) Acer netbooks for $50 more. The winning specs - gigabit lan, wireless N, faster processor, DVD burner, and more ram than usually comes standard with a netbook (although 2GB with XP, unless gaming or doing graphic design (neither of which you would be doing with this laptop), is overkill). But RAM is cheap and you mind as well, right? lol Screen size isn't necessarily and advantage if you like the small netbooks for their size/portability. The faster processor and DVD burner would be the biggest advantges for me. If I had the money right now I'd buy this!

Good to see the netbooks are forcing prices down.

Last edited by Pinky; 03-25-09 at 08:17 AM.
Pinky is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 11:11 AM Thread Starter   #5
Maxvla

Agreed, Pinky. I was interested in a netbook until I found out they can't play 720p videos very well and 1080p videos at all, just not enough horsepower.

My 5 year old centrino laptop died a few days ago so I've been looking for a replacement and this fit the bill quite nicely. The gigabit wired and wireless lan and webcam are very rare for this price range. The processor is nice and fast and getting up to 4gb of ram essentially futureproofs it even with windows 7 on the horizon.

Looks like this deal is Sold Out. Tried to order a couple just a few mins ago and it's sold out.

Mushkin 2x2GB DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX460 1GB
Intel X-25M 80GB SSD
Magnetics - 2x2TB 4x1TB
Corsair HX850W PSU
NEC DVD-RW

Last edited by Maxvla; 03-25-09 at 11:17 AM.
Maxvla is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 11:48 AM   #6
MadMan007

10 Year Badge

Yeah Pinky - the ONLY reason to get a netbook imo is ultra portability and the battery life. There are always EOL notebook deals like this that make netbook pricing alone not enough of an incentive.

Old 03-25-09, 01:45 PM   #7
mbentley
Gloriously Lead
Overclockix Chief Architect
In stealth mode

10 Year Badge

indeed. i ordered one yesterday morning when the email came in. my girlfriend and i both keep a laptop in the living room and this will replace both of our laptops. i'd definitely say it is a great deal it should be arriving tomorrow. i'll post some pics up when it comes in.

and yes, it is deals like this that make purchasing a netbook look like a not so bright idea in my opinion.

oh and i also wanted to mention that my laptop was an acer travelmate 2420 and i have been extremely happy with the reliability over the years.

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net
mbentley is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 03:28 PM   #8
ou_phidelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan007 View Post
EOL'd 12-14" notebooks like this are what keeps me from caring too much about netbooks.
Different strokes for different folk, it is much larger and weighs 3 pounds more. For someone that just needs something small and light to carry around for, surprise, net access, light office, or music playback they make all the sense in the world. They are not make for 1080P(yet anyways) nor designed to be a main, or even secondary machine. Use them for what they are designed for and you will be very happy.

For instance I use mine to watch ripped DVD's at work and surf the net while I wait in the car line to pick my kids up. For those uses it is great.

Old 03-25-09, 03:33 PM   #9
mbentley
Gloriously Lead
Overclockix Chief Architect
In stealth mode

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_phidelt View Post
Different strokes for different folk, it is much larger and weighs 3 pounds more. For someone that just needs something small and light to carry around for, surprise, net access, light office, or music playback they make all the sense in the world. They are not make for 1080P(yet anyways) nor designed to be a main, or even secondary machine. Use them for what they are designed for and you will be very happy.

For instance I use mine to watch ripped DVD's at work and surf the net while I wait in the car line to pick my kids up. For those uses it is great.
i can definitely see your point. the only reason i don't have a netbook is because i can't justify the expensive of laptop and a netbook. i pretty much use my iphone for anything i would do with a netbook anyway.

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net
mbentley is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 04:11 PM   #10
Audioaficionado
Super Moderator

10 Year Badge

Great deal

I wish I could have gotten one.

I'm still glad I got my Asus Eee 1000H for $250.

When I can afford a $1k+ ultra slim in a year or so, then I'll upgrade.

Everyone who sees my netbook in action thinks it's da bomb and so ultra portable.

BTW my Eee has a built in webcam.

Gigabyte DS3, 3GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6400 @3.0GHz
Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, 4GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6600 @3.0GHz
Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds???Click This Link
Anyone we catch cookie stuffing at this site will be banned on the spot!!
Audioaficionado is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 06:33 PM   #11
MadMan007

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_phidelt View Post

aka ultra portability?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Cyber Deals
Cyber Deals NOT FOR SELLING OR TRADING!!! Hot Deals from vendors. No Post Count.