• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9550 E0 Push it any further?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[BIOS]O.o

Hey I'm new to ocf but am not new to the computer scene, finally got around to signing up to this forum. That's enough of an introduction back to the question at hand.

Set up:
Q9550 E0 @ 3.5GHz Daily / Cooling it is the Vendetta 2, idles @ 29,29,27,32 Running @ 1.208V, Under prime it will reach 48C MAX after 11hr
4GB corsair DDDR2 800MHz
500GB WD Caviar SATA
2 x 74GB raptor HDD in Raid -0-
500Gb WD Green power SATA
EVGA 780i REV. A2
2 X BFG 9800GTX
Coolmaster 1000W PSU
Antec 900 (most bought case ever)
3 X 24" LCD monitors

And the question... at the moment i can currently get the system stable for a couple hours @ 4.06GHz and the highest score reached on 3dmark06 so far is 22400 3dmarks. So i was wondering has anyone on here with a similar set-up gotten any better/Higher clocks or scores? If so what did you do differently?

Thanks in advance to any help or advice.

I did try searching for threads with similar content and came up short. If there was a thread like this previously made if you could give me a link or PM with the link it would be much obliged!

For 4GHz, you're running a 471FSB. What speed are you running your RAM at? You might need to loosen up your RAM timings to 5-5-5-15 or get a faster RAM kit. You should be able to get that chip up to at least 4.25GHz.

That's just not true. The minority of Q9550's will run 4GHz or better....

If he's running 3.5GHz with 1.20v, he should be able to get it up to 4.25GHz with 1.3v or less :beer: Mine does 4GHz with 1.232v, and 4.1 with 1.248v.

4100-1.jpg

Well, teh good thing about your 780i is that you can run the ram at w/e speed you want so though getting better ram would help run a 1:1 ratio, just set it to stock speeds (800Mhz), timings and voltage and see if you can get to 4Ghz.

Its an E0 stepping, if he cant hit 4Ghz I would be shocked, even with a 780i board. He has plenty of room to go. 4Ghz+ is the majority. ;)

Welcome to the world of "E0 Stepping."

The E0 Stepping changed THE GAME. He probably has a really low VID (like I do... Like 4.63ghz @ 1.32v kinda low VID :D )

In which case he can do 4ghz standing on his head.

VID = voltage at STOCK speeds.

+ you cannot extrapolate your results on a dual core with a quad. Completely different beasts. But in this case you happen to be right...

VID = voltage at STOCK speeds.

+ you cannot extrapolate your results on a dual core with a quad. Completely different beasts. But in this case you happen to be right...

I *know* what VID is. If it takes a lower voltage to achieve stock clocks then, more often than not, it will take a lower voltage to achieve OVERclocks. The same principle applies regardless of whether it's dual or quadcore.

THAT's why I "happen to be right." :beer:

The way it was posted, I took it, well, the way I repsonded. Unsusecting noobs may think that VID is voltage. I posted for clarity sake.

Well, teh good thing about your 780i is that you can run the ram at w/e speed you want so though getting better ram would help run a 1:1 ratio, just set it to stock speeds (800Mhz), timings and voltage and see if you can get to 4Ghz.

Its an E0 stepping, if he cant hit 4Ghz I would be shocked, even with a 780i board. He has plenty of room to go. 4Ghz+ is the majority. ;)

Thanks for the input for some reason i cant get it past 4.06GHz even .1 MHz more and it wont get past the memory test even though i didn't change the memory speed i haven't messed with the memory timings though ill give that a try. for everyone else i CAN hit 4GHz just fine but im trying for like 4.25GHZ!!!

Any more tips or settings to change in the bios?

You are going about it a tad wrong. Set the memory to its stock speed, timings and voltage in the bios and just overclock the CPU. One thing at a time. THEN push the ram to see how far it will go.

Post some CPUz screenshots of the first tab and memory tab.

q9550

A lot of the EO 9550's will do an easy 4ghz but that also depends on having a good motherboard for OC'ing quads. I am using the EP45-UD3P and 4ghz was a walk in the park with 1.256v (bios)LLC enabled. However trying to get a 500FSB stable is another story. Takes a bit of work and a lot of :bang head. At least for me it has.

Last edited:
Just got done running prime looks like its stable @ 3.5GHz @ 1.184 V

i guess im not sure what your saying about the memory when i overclock my cpu it gives me the option to keep my memory @ the same speed and just increase the FSB. As far as letting it do auto volt, on a clock that high im werry of letting the computer decide the volts.

untitled-15.jpg

Last edited:
looking for any tips to push it farther? anything would be awesome. again thanks in advance! :)

I already gave you some tips (#13). You didnt acknowledge you did that nor post the second screenshot! :)

Not sure if you are talking to me but I never mentioned to leave the voltage on auto. You need to manually set the memory to its factory speed, timings, and volts, then push push the CPU. After you find how high the CPU can go, back it off a bit and raise the memory.

Last edited:
Back