• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scythe mugen 2 uneven core temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boonet

Registered
Hi,
i recently installed the scythe mugen 2 onto my Q9550 thats oc'd to 4ghz (vcore 1.38125). I mounted it vertically ( fan sucking air from below) instead of horizontally ( fan sucking air from the ram modules). What i am experiencing are temps of ~75-~75- 68-69 so in average my temps of cores 2 and 3 are a 5 to ten degrees lower ( all in °C). Now i read was that scythe made an uneven base to fit better on the intel cpu ihs.. ( higher in the middle). But can it be that by mounting it vertically i ectually made 4 air pockets intead of none???

I also think those temps are a bit to high for the mugen 2 ( maybe because of the problem from above)

Do i have to lap my cpu, or just try better to remount it horizontally? BTW i use AS 5...

Can some people post their experiences with the cooler ( i can't find to much info on it, and scytheforums is to slow to respond in my oppinion)

cheers:beer:

I doubt the mounting has anything to do with it. Its quite common to see such differences in core temps on a quad. I take it those temps listed are load, like Prime95, OCCT or Linpack and not idle right?

Last edited:
oh when doing intel burn in: temps on the two first cores rocket over 90 degrees

or remove the plastic layer that HS manfactures put on the base? also since that is not a native quad core but two dual cores you can expect to see a wide temp difference between the two dies. lapping the IHS would be the best thing to do if you are really worried about temps,then lap the hs base. after all you have already voided the warrenty on the cpu as it...

try turning it 90 degrees to how the other one was and I bet it runs cooler.

@ dejo, indeed i think that might help the case. @ evilsizer: im not stupid or something, to leave the protective plastic on :p and the not native quad theory: cores 0and 2 and cores 1 and three are together, concl: each die has a hot and cold side...

tonight ill try the 90° twist and see what happens...

i reseated it, changed it 90°, no improvements for the differences on the cores... idle: ~50-~50-42-43

I didnt suspect the orientation would work... I see differences of 1-3C on my quad. That was air and water.

Perplexing.. your cooler is screwed in right? Not pushpins? Can you tighten down the cooler?

nope, the screws have a twist wire just until 1 point, after that, you cant screw them more down ( its really firmly screwed down).. maybe lapping is the only solution?

Back