• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal compounds! high cpu temp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scousa4lyf

hi ppl, i was wondering if someone can tell me if antec formula 5 silver thermal compound is as goos as arctic 5 silver... the old factory applied compound needed replacing after drying up and since i have put antec on, the temps are about 5-8*C higher than before according to speedfan... (i do know the readings are a bit off, but there still must be a rise in heat production for it to be displaying a higher temp to what it was)

i removed the old compound with isopropyl alcohol (being careful not to get any on the contacts) then spread a small amount of antec around my cpu, then put the tinyest amount of antec onto a clean bag and rubbed in circular motions on the HS to eliminate air particles inbetween the contact surface. then a thin layer on the cpu and then started the system to find the temps up

have i missed anything? any1 know what might be causing this?

nice 1 for your help

I've found best spreading by just putting a bb or rice-grain sized dot in the center of the CPU, NB, GPU, whatever, and letting the heatsink's mounting pressure spread it evenly. This method also has the advantage of being the easiest! I'd recommend trying it this way.

Have also used Antec formula 5 silver thermal compound , and cant see any dif between AS5, both get great Temps with both when applied correctly.

Mx-2 from arctic cooling did the trick for me. Supposedly runs cooler than AS5. I have no experience and it is like $10 shipped on newegg.

Back