• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAPPHIRE HD 4850 X2 in Silverstone LC17 Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

commandz

Hi all,

Just wondering, is possible to fit a SAPPHIRE HD 4850 X2 in a Silverstone LC17 Case? I also have to fit a Zalman Ulta quite CPU cooler as well.

Having scanned the internet it seems very hard to find an example. My reasoning for this or rather my friends justifcation for me pruchasing this case is that eventually I will want to use it as HTPC and the LC17 is actually a pretty good case cooling wise aslo. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, its been awhile since I've built a PC! At the Moment it will be primarily a gamer rig/General Desktop.

Having looked the Case over(Pics from the web) I thinks possible to fit the card by removing a drive bay and jigging around a few cables ect.

I just like to get opinion from you guys.

Yours Sincerely,

A PC Gamer coming in from the Cold!

:welcome:

Buy it and try it. If it doesn't work... Just get a new case.

It'll be cheaper than the card was anyway. Then you can tell US if it fit or not. :)

I have heard that the 4850x2 is insanely long, probably wont fit in a lot of cases.

well thanks for the awesome response rainless, glad to see you are giving great advice to new members...

I checked silverstone's site and it seems the case is 16.7 inches deep, it looks like you can remove the hard drive cage and have room to fit the card. Sorry I don't have a for sure answer, but this pic may help you.

Attachments

• LC17S-Top-4-3-Inside.jpg
    LC17S-Top-4-3-Inside.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,213
Nvidia 9800gtx+'s are 10.5'' long and I have no problem fitting one in my case. Granted the 4850x2 is an inch longer, if you don't have any hard drives in the cage then you should be able to do some simple modding to get the card to slide in well.

well thanks for the awesome response rainless, glad to see you are giving great advice to new members...

My answer is a lot more certain than yours was... it just required less effort. :)

A card not fitting in a case is NOT a deal-breaker.

Card not WORKING because the PSU can't supply enough power for it... or because it won't work on the motherboard, or because maybe the guy doesn't even have a PCI-E Power connector... THAT's a dealbreaker.

I don't know if the card will fit in his case. YOU don't know if it will fit in his case (what happens when he removes that hard drive bay and it STILL won't fit? and even that's assuming he *wants* to remove the hard drive bay. Nobody else that has responded seems to know either.

But what I know with absolute, god-like certainty, is that if he buys the card... within a few moments of opening the box HE will know if it fits in his case or not.

At that point he will... in absolutely no uncertain terms... have two options:

1. Put the card in the case (and tell us all is well)
2. Buy another case.

But I did like the picture and the red circle.. :beer:

So because you stated the most certain blanket statement that helps this member? What if the member is on a very limited budget and this will be the only case he can buy. He should just be screwed if the card won't fit? I just did some extra research and looked at the dimensions, looks to me like it'll work if he removes the drive cage.

So because you stated the most certain blanket statement that helps this member? What if the member is on a very limited budget and this will be the only case he can buy. He should just be screwed if the card won't fit? I just did some extra research and looked at the dimensions, looks to me like it'll work if he removes the drive cage.

If he wants to or CAN do that. Your extra research doesn't mean you found "the answer."

If he absolutely MUST keep that case... then the point is moot. He'll borrow a neighbor's reciprocating saw if needbe and make the necessary adjustments.

Oddly enough... my blanket statement leaves room for that, too! :D

I checked silverstone's site and it seems the case is 16.7 inches deep, it looks like you can remove the hard drive cage and have room to fit the card. Sorry I don't have a for sure answer, but this pic may help you.

Thanks custom90gt,

Yeah thats what I pretty much figured, I was actually considering the LC20 with provides a staggering .5cm extra! But I believe it provides better sound dampening, I would also add a couple of zalman card fans.

Ironically I'm typing this post on my currently extremely unstable desktop, with a saphire graphics card running near melting point, which has a habit of hanging unexpectly, so roll on new PC.

Thanks for everyone else's inciteful and often belwildering posts! :)

PS. I think I will go with LC17(try and save a bit of cash) I will post pics and full spec on completion.

Last edited:
Back