Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

a question for Jeep people (technical/mechanical)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 03-25-09, 08:21 PM Thread Starter   #1
Niku-Sama

a question for Jeep people (technical/mechanical)

ok dokie so heres the deal, i'm moving and going to be spending some time with my aunt, i'm gonna help her out arround the farm and she has a work truck only it doesent work.

he has one of those late 80's Jeep Pickups that look like a Cherokee but is a truck instead, i cant think of the name. only problem is it doesent run well. it idles high but misses when you hit the gas, it was rebulit once but the guy reused EVERY gasket and seal (kinda defeats the purpose) and the linkages on the carb are all messed up. its a 2.8L V6. older chrysley V engines suck i know sooo.....

i'm wondering if its possible to yank that engine out and put the 4.0L inline 6 in instead. i know theyre tanks and last for ever and it might be able to acually haul something.

i just dont know if it'll bolt to the transmission or if the 2.8l has a different set up to where it bolts to the bellhousing and has a different transmission.
and then theres the crossmember. i know there are some jeep tinkers here so i thought i would ask up.

16Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-9-9-25 2T 667Mhz
MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC
Seagate 320Gig 7200.11
Seagate 1024Gig 7200.14
OCZ Stealth X Stream 600
LG LightScribe DVD Burner
Niku-Sama is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 08:38 PM   #2
liftedcj7on44s

you are referring to the jeep comanche. Sounds like to me that the engine in it may be suffering from either some vacuum leaks or the distributor cap may have moisture in it. if i were you i would first do a thorough check up on the engine in the truck first. Use a can of carb cleaner to spray on the intake and the baseplate of the carburetor and see if it idles up any more. If it does you have a vacuum leak. If you can get the 2.8 to run decent then no sense in swapping in a 4.0 if its not needed even though the 4.0 is a great motor.
liftedcj7on44s is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 08:42 PM   #3
87poopcoupe

to answer your question yes you can swap 4.0 drivetrain into a comanche !youmay need an adapterplate to hook it up to the trans ? depends on the year and trans #

MSI-9800gts X2 in SLI
1 tb-WD green
NZXT case
Win 7 64 bit
87poopcoupe is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-25-09, 10:23 PM Thread Starter   #4
Niku-Sama

so if i aimed for a similar year i could get away with having to swap the transmission eh?
i may do that, i dont remember what year it is but she needs something done with it.

liftedcj7on44s:
its really not worth the time, she said on the off chance it does run properly it never got out of its own way and would definitly not be worth its while hauling, but at the same time the engine has been a constant problem, like most of the V arranged late 80's early 90's chrysler motors. the carb is f**ked beyond repair and i think thats why its not able to accelerate or miss durring acceleration and the high idle. i checked it out last time i was up there and the linkages had fallen off when i check under the air filter housing but the jet wasnt spraying constantly either when i would grab it and rev it by hand, comsistant pressure before the carb though

it also leaks oil like a sieve which leads me to belive that mabe its not just the reused gaskets and seals but that mabe when the guy "rebulit" this engine the block and heads werent decked and they most likely needed to be.

you could keep an air craft carrier supplied with oil with the ammounts that come out of this thing

16Gig G.SKILL Ripjaws 9-9-9-25 2T 667Mhz
MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC
Seagate 320Gig 7200.11
Seagate 1024Gig 7200.14
OCZ Stealth X Stream 600
LG LightScribe DVD Burner
Niku-Sama is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-26-09, 10:16 AM   #5
orion25
Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.

Try the forums at jeepsunlimited.com. Tons of jeep guys there.
orion25 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.