• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

interesting issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mxthunder

interesting issue with weak UPS

So I was running prime on my machine tonight, it was passing for 5+ hrs no problems, so I decided to do something crazy and try to run the fur rendering benchmark at the same time!
About 10 seconds after starting it up, everything on my desk that was plugged into my UPS went dead!! It was acting like there was no power and was giving the beep that it does when the power goes out. The outlet did not die, because my laptop stayed on.

Why on earth would my PC kill the whole UPS? It scared the living daylights out of me!
Now the UPS is totally dead, nothing will run through it.
Plugged the surge protector straight into the outlet, bypassing the UPS and it will run both prime and furmark at the same time!

Last edited:
Perhaps when you fully loaded the CPU and the GPU at the same time, your computer pulled more current through the UPS than the UPS was able to provide.

What UPS do you have?

It was just a lil APC BK300C. I had no idea my computer was actually drawing that much power lol! I guess because its all 12V and lower that I think it doesnt actually draw any "real" power.
Well I tossed that thing out the window anyways, can now run both tests simultaneously without any issues. It didnt help stabilize my OC at all though.

It was just a lil APC BK300C. I had no idea my computer was actually drawing that much power lol! I guess because its all 12V and lower that I think it doesnt actually draw any "real" power.
Well I tossed that thing out the window anyways, can now run both tests simultaneously without any issues. It didnt help stabilize my OC at all though.

Uhh, that's just a wee little 180 watt unit. Not shocked it pooped the bed.

Back