• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one? Asus A7V266, Abit KR7a-Raid or Abit KT7A-Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyT

Registered
Hi All,

I would like to put together my first system using either an Asus A7V266e-Raid, Abit KR7a-Raid or Abit KT7A-Raid MOBO with an Athlon XP 1800.

If you were building a system for yourself today, which one of these MOBO's would you use and why?

Thanks in advance, :)
TommyT

Welcome To The Forums

ABIT is my choice for MoBos. Don't get the KT7A-/RAID since it's an SDRAM system. The KR7A-/RAID133 with the new southbridge with native support for ATA133 on all IDE controllers is what you should be looking out for. No release date yet but it should be out pretty soon.

when you have 4 memory slots does it matter how you put the DDR ram in? can you put in 4x 256? or 4x 512? or isn't there something you have to use specifically with that much ram?

DoctorDave said:
when you have 4 memory slots does it matter how you put the DDR ram in? can you put in 4x 256? or 4x 512? or isn't there something you have to use specifically with that much ram?
It really depends what chipset you have. I suggest you post this on a particular board manufacturer forum here so you will get a better reply.

OK THanks. I was wondering with DDR memory? and i like asus mobo's.
I will make a thread later on asus. I gotta run at work hehe.

Well, that really depends on heat. The better your cooling, the higher you can take the voltage. If you never get your cpu abouve 40C then 2.1v is very safe (I mean actual temps, not mobo monitor). It also depends on how long you want to keep the chip. 2.1v would probably last you 2-3 years with decent cooling. I wouldn't recommend anything above 2.3v with anything less than a vapochill or similar coolling.

Back