• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDC7 and am2 retention clips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwall

Registered
I noticed there was a giveaway and testing of this compound here before and theyre now do it on the main hardware forum i use. Im hoping maybe someone here has some experience with this compound using a cooler that makes use of the am2 retention bracket.
Basically ive got a vendetta 2 and a phenom II, upon applying the tim as the directions stated i saw no difference in temps over what came with my vendetta 2, so i decided to reapply it and remount. Turns out because of the way the amd heatsinks work it was basically just wedging the compound to the one side of the cpu, and about one third of it was completely bare. I reapplied it and tried simply using more and noticed a 2c drop in load temps, but im tihnking the problem is still there.
What i think will work is putting the blob of tim at the far side of the cpu, and using the wedge action of the cooler going into place to push it to the other side of the cpu so it covers it.

Did anyone run into this issue in their testing and find a way to apply it better or think that this method will work out well?

Back