Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Mount Powersupply fanside up or down?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 11:19 AM Thread Starter   #1
lubedkoala
Registered

Mount Powersupply fanside up or down?

I have the antec 1200 case. 3 front intake fans, 2 rear exhaust fans, and 1 large exhaust fan at the top. Here's a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=antec%201200

The power supply sits at the bottom. Should I be facing the fan on it up towards the top of my case, or down towards the bottom for better cooling?
lubedkoala is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 11:34 AM   #2
mxthunder

If there is room between the floor and the bottom of your case, I would make the fan face down, that way it will have its own supply of fresh air, allowing for cooler temps. Also, I dont think its the best idea to have an exhaust fan at the bottom of your case, because you want the hot air to rise.

XSPC res + D5, RS360 + EK 120mm rad
GeForce GTX780Ti w/custom bios @1300mhz
Corsair TX950
WD Black 750GB/Hitachi 7k1000/Intel 330 SSD cache drive
LG 27" 1080p
Corsair Obsidian 700D

My GPU collection
mxthunder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 11:46 AM   #3
BeHappy

I wouldn't suggest facing it up either. The hot air will be exhausted out of the back of the case regardless of which way you mount it. The cooler air from the lowest point in your case will give slightly better performance.

SGS3 - 2.1Ghz PA ROM / Lean Kernel

Aspire 5349 running 7 Ultimate x64 / Windows 8
i7 - 2720QM 8mb ES
128gb M4

Heat for BeHappy
X360~> xYeastNfectioNx
BeHappy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 12:28 PM   #4
muddocktor
Retired

10 Year Badge

I'll go with the fan facing down too, but for a different reason. If you have the fan facing up, then anything you drop inside the case has a decent chance of falling through the fan blades into the psu while you are working inside the case, giving you a chance of a short inside it next time you start your computer. Also, I would think that the dust issue might be a little worse with the fan facing up too. Personally I don't think it will make much difference in temps in the psu either way. And this also depends if the case will let you mount the psu in either orientation too.
muddocktor is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 12:35 PM   #5
CGR

10 Year Badge

Probably doesnt matter which way it is. Try it both ways and see if GPU/Case temps change at all.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

CGR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 03:45 PM   #6
trents

I think mudd makes a valid point. No matter how careful you are working inside your case, sooner or later a screw will fall. If your case doesn't have a fresh air intake hole in the bottom below the psu fan I would be tempted to take my saber saw and make one. On the other hand if there is some space below the underside of the PSU and the bottom of the case and there is a fan blowing fresh air in that direction from the bottom of the case front then it may be getting enough fresh air already. I would not mount it with fan up because of the interruption in bottom to top air flow it would create.

RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
Case: NZXT Source 530
PSU: OCZ 750W
Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-09, 07:47 PM Thread Starter   #7
lubedkoala
Registered

I have opted to face it downward since many of you brought up good reasons.

As for the screw possibly breaking and my powersupply falls, the antec case has little rubber pads that the power supply sits on, keeping it permanantly up off the floor. It then screws in to secure it.

I have no fan on the bottom of my case, not sure how that point came up. The fan I was refering to in my first post was the power supply's fan.
Old 03-27-09, 07:47 PM Thread Starter   #8
lubedkoala
Registered

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-28-09, 12:00 AM   #9
trents

I don't think mud was talking about the screws holding your psu, he was talking about other screws that you might be putting in or taking out that might fall into the pus fan if it was facing up with the psu being at the bottom of your case. Screws like the ones that hold a hard drive or a cdrom in a bay or a video card in a slot. Maybe you can't picture this because you might have a screwless case where everything is held in place by clips. My mention of a fan at the bottom of the case was referring to the ones you typically see in the front behind the bezel in the area where the power switch is. Maybe you don't have one.

RAM: 16 (4x4) gb Team Group Vulcan 2400 mhz @ 2176 mhz / 11-13-13-35-2T
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7870
Case: NZXT Source 530
PSU: OCZ 750W
Storage: Segate 480 gb SSD + 2x300 gb WD Velociraptors

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6
trents is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-09, 09:52 AM   #10
dealmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxthunder View Post
If there is room between the floor and the bottom of your case, I would make the fan face down, that way it will have its own supply of fresh air, allowing for cooler temps. Also, I dont think its the best idea to have an exhaust fan at the bottom of your case, because you want the hot air to rise.
While your advice about PSU mounting was right, holding to the "hot air rises" rule in a computer case is very inaccurate. Convection causes hot air to rise and cooler air to sink in a static environment, but when you've got big 120mm fans blowing, that rule no longer is in force. The fans direct the air where to go, as the force they impart is MUCH stronger than convection. Anyways, just wanted to point that out. You can have intakes/exhausts wherever you like, they'll work just fine.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz 1.31v | AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX | Megahalems Rev b w/ 1850rpm Gentle Typhoon push/pull | Corsair HX620 | Fractal XL R2 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | Samsung 2TB

I trust the King

HEATWARE
dealmaster is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-09, 10:15 AM   #11
rainless
Old Member

I've seen a lot of people with their PSUs upside down in those antec cases. That's the way I would do it. It really doesn't make any sense pointing a fan at the bottom of the case.

Furthermore... I don't even know why they design cases like that. I prefer the traditional method of having them at the top.

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
rainless is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-09, 11:59 AM   #12
curlysir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainless View Post
I've seen a lot of people with their PSUs upside down in those antec cases. That's the way I would do it. It really doesn't make any sense pointing a fan at the bottom of the case.

Furthermore... I don't even know why they design cases like that. I prefer the traditional method of having them at the top.
Most of the cases with PSUs at the bottom have a hole in the bottom to draw cool air from outside.

I have both types (top & bottom mount PSU) and the bottom mount PSU will be the only type case I will buy in the future.
curlysir is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool