• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible culprit to my bizarre phenomenon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

Asus C.P.R. (Cpu Parameters Recall)
I just read about this today even though it's been around on 2004 mobos, and that's my A8N-E has it.

So the bizarre phenomenon is summary is as follows:
If you turn up the FSB overclock, even a little bit (say from 200Mhz to 201Mhz)
or if you change the Vcore (up or down any increment), BIOS would recognize the change but once windows boots up, cpu-z read as if all parameters got reset to default (which sounds like what Asus CPR would do.)

Here is my original thread about the issue:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=586275&highlight=goldtna

QUESTION:
So how do I disable Asus C.P.R. ?
When I google that phrase with words like "disable" or "turn off", all i get is motherboard specs.

Anyone know how to disable Asus C.P.R. or can link me to a good reference to the feature?

BTW, if the culprit was Asus CPR, then it must not be functioning correctly because it my settings seems to reset after every reboot even on previously established stable settings. (even when i overclock by 0.5% for crying out loud!!!). That's why I want to find a way to disable it.

What's a safe typical temperature to run an A64 X2 Manchester 4200+? The chip is rated at 65C. I'm on stock cooling and gets up to 58C (I set my cool and quite to run cpu fan to full speed at 58C cuz I can't stand the noise of the fan being on full speed). Do you think 58C is low enough to be safe or do you think I should make the fan kick in at say 55C? ... imagine you really hate noise.

Hum...

"C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
When the system hangs due to overclocking failure, there is no need to open the case to clear CMOS data. Simply restart the system and the BIOS will automatically restore the CPU default setting for each parameter."

This says CPR would reset my BIOS settings; however, my BIOS would reboot with the correct overclocked settings, but once windows loads, the settings are reset. Anyone know if Asus has some sort of software CPR that might be killing my OC attempts?

I would think your best bet is to find a different BIOS release that doesnt have the CPR all together. What is your motherboard model #? Is there any mention of it in the manual?
I have never heard of such a thing in a OEM-boxed-premade computer before.

My A8N-E User manual does not make any mention of Asus CPR. However, if you search up A8N-E, google can pull up old cached webpages that has the specs on the motherboard. In those, they say the board has Asus CPR. Also from Wikipedia, it made a brief mention that CPR was introduced in 2004. My board is definitely newer than that.

I've already updated the BIOS to the latest version. Didn't help.

Well, the manual does mention it in one place - page xi under "Overclocking" - but it just says it's there. I'm pretty sure that's built into the BIOS with no way to disable. But it can't be your problem anyway, CPR runs at the very beginning of the boot cycle as an error response to bad OC settings. If you get past the initial POST then CPR doesn't come into play.

This has got to be some problem in the Windows software, some service or something that's loading on start-up. Did you try going through the event logger? Did you try using logging in safe mod (press F8 during boot)? I know most of the stuff in there will look like Geek (;)) but you may recognize some program or piece of a program still running that shouldn't be ...

Okay, so did the event logging and didn't see anything suspicious.
Although during one reboot into safe mode, the overclock stayed. Upon subsequent safe modes, the overclock reset again. During my last attempt at overclocking some months ago, I remember safe mode also had overclock reset. Funny thing is this week, the resetting phenomenon disappeared so I started over clocking again but it re-appeared. This, together with other suspected motherboard problems (one example here) leads me to believe that somehow the motherboard is just dying and during some windows bootup process, it stresses the mobo in just the right way that it resets the overclock by resetting the system bus.

I've concluded to give up on trying to overclock this system and also to take it easy on this mobo. I tuned down the Vcore by 0.075V (and checked stability) and will run it at regular clock speeds for the remainder of its lifetime.

When this machine dies, I'll get an i7 to play around with. Till then, thank you for all who have helped me here on OC Forums. I will continue to read and continue to learn.

My A8N-E User manual does not make any mention of Asus CPR. However, if you search up A8N-E, google can pull up old cached webpages that has the specs on the motherboard. In those, they say the board has Asus CPR. Also from Wikipedia, it made a brief mention that CPR was introduced in 2004. My board is definitely newer than that.

I've already updated the BIOS to the latest version. Didn't help.

CPR was introduced in 2003. My Asus A7V8X-X had it.

Back