• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning aftermarket set up for GTS 250 cooling vregs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Hey all I'm up to no good again :beer:

I'm planning to purchase a EVGA GTS 250 1gb I can get for a good price and being a *picky* modder I must install aftermarket solutions on to it however there is an image of the reference models EVGA sells that worries me a bit. Oh and I will only want the video card in black PCB and good warranty so I'm not buying alternatives.

Now the core area that's no problem but it's the vregs on the right side under the power plug that is a bit trouble some.

Now I do know there are no one piece solutions for that design of vregs positioning so here is my question.

Will Tweakmonster BGA ram sinks and Thermaltape 3m 8815 both I already have be sufficient to cool that section down? Assuming the vregs variable make the same amount of heat as vregs from a 9800gtx+/9800GT. (which I have no knowledge of) Also this is going into a PASSIVE set up so please take that to consideration and the ambient temperatures where I live can go up to 33 Celsius during the summer. The cooler that is going over the core is a HR-03GT.

Tweakmonster ram sinks (copper)
BGA-RAMsink.jpg

Tech sheet for 8815 thermal tape which I highlighted in yellow

Air flow design in the case since this is planned passive (ignore details in vga section)

Last edited:
i see 2 holes there for a HR-09... looks as if its a lil wide for an hr-09 so what i think u should do is get a thin say .1 in or 1/8th in thick piece of almost pure aluminum... not structural stuff and make a lil plate that covers all the vregs perfectly, use some shekisui on the vregs to hold the plate in place, then put an HR-09 on top of it with some as5 inbetween the hr-09 and metal "IHS" if you wanna call it that. will be MORE than adaquate for cooling and look bloddy cool. Pluss its more thermalright stuff in there and will definitely be a one of a kind.

EDIT... or an HR-05-SLI or other HR-05 TR heatsink :D

Last edited:
i see 2 holes there for a HR-09... looks as if its a lil wide for an hr-09 so what i think u should do is get a thin say .1 in or 1/8th in thick piece of almost pure aluminum... not structural stuff and make a lil plate that covers all the vregs perfectly, use some shekisui on the vregs to hold the plate in place, then put an HR-09 on top of it with some as5 inbetween the hr-09 and metal "IHS" if you wanna call it that. will be MORE than adaquate for cooling and look bloddy cool. Pluss its more thermalright stuff in there and will definitely be a one of a kind.

EDIT... or an HR-05-SLI or other HR-05 TR heatsink :D

Is this what you mean? I think you got something here

Last edited:
i would use something like shekisui thermal tape between the thermal interface of the vregs on the aluminum or copper sheet, as if you just use standard liquid thermal paste all around the plate will eventually slip.

But yup thats the design im talkin about and i think it would work quite well!

lol i dont think you know who ur talking to... IKIKU has a thermalright addiction, he is going to be puttin an HR-03 as well as an HR-09 on that card.

Back