• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haven't used air in awhile...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

So did I set it up right? lol. The fan is blowing air onto the radiator... is that correct? Temps are also about 29-30c with 0 load. I'm using a Xigmatek 1283 on an E6600. System fans are 2 yate loons pulling air in the front with a 120mm pulling it out the back and a 140 out the top. Seems OK to me, but I've been on water for 2 yrs and want to check. Thanks.

Sounds good. Front fans should be pulling air in from the outside at the bottom and pushing it in toward the back of the case. Rear fan should be close the top and pulling air up from the interior of the case and pushing it out and away from the back of the computer. You might also consider a pull fan on the back side of the cpu heatsink, if the design permits it. Should give one or two degrees lower cpu temps. Your no load temps seem about right. Tell us more about your system.

It used to be in a Lian Li water cooled case I did about 3 yrs ago. THe hardware specs are:

CPU: e6600
RAM: 2GB RAM DDR2 800
VGA: eVGA 8800GTX
MOBO: Asus Commando
Sound: XiFi Fatility

Right now it's been retired from its role as my gaming rig and is undergoing a metamorphosis into my primary linux workstation. It'll be driving 2 monitors off of the 8800GTX and heading up my workstation needs. I went back to air because I just felt like it, the Xigmatek 1283 was recommended here and so far it seems ok. I don't like the push pin attachments but they work ok.

Yeah, most of the coolers for the Intel chips use push pin fasteners. There's a lot of complaints about that. Although Intel has a performance advantage over AMD I think in general the cpu heatsink mounting system for the AMDs is easier to work with and more effective.

Yea, sounds like you have it set up correctly, airflow through the heatsink. You can get a bolt-thru kit if you want to get rid of the pushpin mounting setup.

Back