• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 degradation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

Has anyone seen any yet? What kinda volts did it take? Google isn't helping at all.

None of mine seem to have degraded... ofcourse I'm not an engineer or anything like that so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Initially (around launch time) there was much talk about any voltage above 1.65v would mean instant death or degrade the CPU. That does not appear to have happened in large scale... there are plenty of people who have pushed way beyond the recommended limits impossed by the manufacturers... especially in response to the vdimm fears that were rampant at launch. I've seen lots of guys push 1.9v+ to the memory along with crazy voltages to QPI/VTT and CPU. I'd point you to an excellent thread on the subject at XS started by Sayaa... but XS is down for the time being.

well when XS forums gets back up there is a thread with some data in it. which cpus died after what amount of time at what voltage.. i think his list was rather small but there are dead i7's on that list...

Of course there will always be a chance of chips failing, but on average there has been little degradation, I haven't seen any dead i7's in this forum yet.

Back