• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

macbook core duo 1.83GHZ Ram issues PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

Hey guys,

So here is the deal. I have a core duo (not the newer core 2 duo) 13inch white macbook. I bought 2x2gig modules of corsair 667 ram. Unfortunatly no matter how hard I try I can't get more then 1 2gig module to work at a time.

I have read places that this laptop can only support 2gig's. But it said it could only do a max of 2 x 1gig sticks. These are older posts so I don't believe it still to be true.

I don't understand how my macbook can understand 1 2gig module, but not 2 2gig modules? Does the bios just not get more then 2 gigs? or what?

Is there some way for me to maybe override the macbook bios restriction and force it to allow 4gigs?

Thanks,
treepop

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So here is the deal. I have a core duo (not the newer core 2 duo) 13inch white macbook. I bought 2x2gig modules of corsair 667 ram. Unfortunatly no matter how hard I try I can't get more then 1 2gig module to work at a time.

I have read places that this laptop can only support 2gig's. But it said it could only do a max of 2 x 1gig sticks. These are older posts so I don't believe it still to be true.

I don't understand how my macbook can understand 1 2gig module, but not 2 2gig modules? Does the bios just not get more then 2 gigs? or what?

Is there some way for me to maybe override the macbook bios restriction and force it to allow 4gigs?

Thanks,
treepop

Have you checked to see if Apple has a BIOS update? Call an Apple store, talk to a Apple "genius" and see what he says. It may also be that a later version of the Apple OS will provide greater physical memory recognition.

If I remember well your MacBook could go up to 2 or 3Gb ram, I will check exactly tomorrow, but for sure no Bios update will solve being Macs not based on Bios but firmware :p

Back