• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

127mm Filters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

citronym

I have 6 120's in my case right now, and I'd like to upgrade 2 of them to 127's to equal out my airflow. I cant find any mesh (or similar) filters for 127mm fans. Suggestions?

I have 6 120's in my case right now, and I'd like to upgrade 2 of them to 127's to equal out my airflow. I cant find any mesh (or similar) filters for 127mm fans. Suggestions?

How many fans do you need? 6x 120's is a crap load of air even if you're using low speed ones. 6x medium speed Yate loons will be over 200CFM of air, given 3 intake and 3 exhaust. Why do you feel the need for more airflow? If you REALLY want more, you can step up to higher speed ones that won't make you have to mod your case to get them to fit. Grab some Scythe Slipstream highs that flow 110CFM each or grab the 150CFM Deltas. I'd hate to be anywhere near your case though.

Axis

I'm not looking to move a lot more air, but the 3in 3out config I have right now causes dust to build up on the mesh of the case and around my bezel drives. I'm exhausting more air than I am drawing in. All 6 fans are matched and are relatively cheap, low-flow coolermaster fans. I have a 690 like yourself, and I have the PSU mounted with the second fan drawing from the bottom of the case, so that should be neutral. I have 1 in on front, 2 in on side, 1 out on back and 2 out up top.

I removed a substantial amount of material from my case to improve airflow.

I started by cutting out the plastic cross pieces of the front bezel beneath the steel mesh.

dsc03059x.jpg

dsc03060z.jpg

Next, I did the same for the top of the case.

dsc03058b.jpg

dsc03061t.jpg

I also removed the stamped steel grills from the case.

Top:
dsc03057p.jpg

dsc03064xfz.jpg

dsc03070k.jpg

Rear:
dsc03056j.jpg

dsc03065t.jpg

The side panel was the easiest. I left the mounting holes for 80 and 92 when I did the cutout, because this will

likely end up as a second or third system case down the road and I wanted to retain flexibility.

dsc03066b.jpg

dsc03068r.jpg

Here's what it ended up looking like.

dsc03118f.jpg

dsc03120k.jpg

dsc03121w.jpg

I was just thinking that by increasing the fan size of the 2 side panel fans that I could prevent the air being pulled through other parts of my case. The problem with that is nobody seems to make 127mm mesh grills. I would prefer to use slightly stronger intake fans than to use weaker exhaust fans, and I really don't want to spend 10's of dollars on quiet higher CFM 120mm fans. I'd like to stick to the cheap quiet low-flow fans, but I'm open to suggestions. I suppose I could replace them with all nicer fans if it comes down to it.

What kind of fan setup do you have on your 690? Have you done any mods? Pics?

is there such thing as a 127mm fan?
Yes, I have several. I think I picked them up at MC, and the CM690 has mounting holes for them.

I thought they were 127s, I could be mistaken. I still can't find any mesh grills larger than 120 so I think I am just going to invest in some nicer 120's.

Back