• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5tb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spyderdixie

Registered
I need to get atleast 4 1.5tb hard drives so I will have 6 to set up a raid 50. The cheapest I found so far is $125 shipped. Anyone know of a cheaper buy?

You may be able to get them a bit cheaper buy using the MS Live cashback but for the few bucks it would save I would just get them from newegg.

I don't know when you need them by, but if you can, maybe wait? One weekend there was a 10% off (up to $10 max) any hard drive at newegg, making the drives $120 each.

There was also a post in cyberdeals for $115 drives from tiger direct. There was also another post for $125 for retail drives from Fry's, so you could get a 5 year warranty instead of the OEM 3.

I n ot in a very big hurry. I just purchased a 16 port pci-e raid card. I want to set them up in either a raid 5 or 50, I have not figured out all of the pro's and con's yet. The reason for the raid 5 or 50, I will be able to just plug in a harddrive as needed. I will need to build a custom case to house them in. I have about 100 old cases that I can rob the hard drive trays out of. I figured I would put 32 slots in there so I could use every other one for airflow. I will also have to get one of those secondary powersupplies that every one is talking about. I will just have to figure out how I am going to get the power side to work.

:drool:

I just double checked when the last newegg one was: it was for March 12 for 2 days; had to be on their mailing list. AND it was only ONE discount per account; you'd only save $10 max.

To watch deals, you could watch the cyber deals section here. That's how I found out about the other deals.

For modding your case, check out this thread. I thought it was a great idea, and will probably steal it next time I need to make hard drive mounts.

I n ot in a very big hurry. I just purchased a 16 port pci-e raid card. I want to set them up in either a raid 5 or 50, I have not figured out all of the pro's and con's yet. The reason for the raid 5 or 50, I will be able to just plug in a harddrive as needed. I will need to build a custom case to house them in. I have about 100 old cases that I can rob the hard drive trays out of. I figured I would put 32 slots in there so I could use every other one for airflow. I will also have to get one of those secondary powersupplies that every one is talking about. I will just have to figure out how I am going to get the power side to work.

If you are serious about using up to 32 drives look into a rack system and doing it right. It will be more costly up front front but you are going to have a much easier setting it up, better cooling performance, and just an all round better set-up.

RAID 50/60 looks interesting. I hadn't come across that before. I took a look at a couple lengths and looks pretty nice for larger scale systems.

:drool:

I just double checked when the last newegg one was: it was for March 12 for 2 days; had to be on their mailing list. AND it was only ONE discount per account; you'd only save $10 max.

To watch deals, you could watch the cyber deals section here. That's how I found out about the other deals.

For modding your case, check out this thread. I thought it was a great idea, and will probably steal it next time I need to make hard drive mounts.

Wow, good link :) I have always just used pipe strap to make my HDD mounts LOL

I am not using 32 drives, just 16. the 32 drive bays is for space between hard drives. I already have a case to put them in and the drive bays to do it. I will mount 120mm fans to the plexi in a push pull configuration. The 2 side pieces of plexi will be mounted with case thumb screws, since I have a tapper. I will do the green black short on an extra psu via a on off switch.

you can get the seagate drive in an external enclosure (usb connection) for 109.99 after a $30 off coupon at costco (you can get the coupons by asking at the customer service desk). They used to be online but it looks like they sold out.

Back