• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making sure I've got enough power...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I have a 750w PSU and I just want to make sure that is enough to cover the following:

Core i7
1TB WD Caviar Black
500GB WD Caviar
6GB OCT Platinum XTC 1600MHz
GeForce GTX285

I don't plan on doing SLI but in the near future I'll probably upgrade my GPU card.

It's in an Alienware so I don't have the exact brand name yet. I'll have to look it up in my documents.

Lol I forgot that method :screwy:

I'll have to wait until I'm off work though to look but I'll post it as soon as I find out.

With everything at stock speeds, your system will probably never consume more than around 350-400W. If Alienware has OC'ed it, it could consume more, but not much based on their relatively mild OCs (500W-550W maybe) ;)

Thanks, I couldn't find out which brand of PSU I have so I think I'm going to have to call. They have the PSU in some type of enclosure so I can't see the brand.

If I did go SLI in the future (with a new GPU), would 750W be enough?

well as you can see by my sig my old PCP 510DLX is powering my i7 rig... though i so need a new one the delta screamer fan they used is KILLING ME.... so a 750watt of the right make would handle i7+SLI... after all i7 consumes just slightly more then a c2q box stock and both oced to the same speed. i7 actually consumes less power at idle then a C2Q box...

It depends on the GPU. If its another 285, then a good name brand (say Corsair, PCPnC, Zippy, Silverstone) 750W should do it. However if you are overclocking the system, vid cards included, I would personally go with Corsair 850TX.

I probably won't be overclocking my video cards if I go SLI so I'm thinking then that 750W will be enough.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Back