• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1800XT Cooling mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
A blast from the past:This old girl needed some cooling, but had to be quiet. I picked up a Thermaltake Copper Orb off fleabay on da cheap ( thx Oldskool). Attached the orb, ramsinks & VRM sinks with Artic Silver Ceramique Epoxy. I'm sure alot of us "old timers" remember these back during the Socket A days. I, for one, modded several Ti4400/4600 video cards with these badboys. Oh the fond memories...

Anyways that dang blower type of stock cooler on the X1800XT was LOUD even during idle and extremely overbearing/anoying during loads & gaming. So I decided to bring back a classic mod. Nice & quiet plus lowered temps. 40c idle and about 50c loaded.

Here she is in all her glory :cool:

Attachments

• 331001649-01.jpg
    331001649-01.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
oh teh good ole days where one could take a stock cpu hs and put it on a gfx card and have amazing cooling.... now the cards consume more power than the cpus :eek:

nice and cleanly done! how u holding the main hs on? thermal epoxy?

Thx :D Yeah, used Artic Alumina Epoxy for the main sink, power regulator sinks and ram sinks. Only way to mount these orbs is with epoxy.

Thx Spawn. With the squirrel cage cooler, idle was something like 60ish and loads were over 80ish. Once a load was put on the card the blasted fan would kick into turbo mode. Dam noise was driving me bonkers.

Looking nice ;)
Lately I put zalman VF900 on my X1800XT only problem is that card don't want to oc better, but temps dropped by maybe 15*C ...
I remember that these orbs werent quiet but it beats most cooling dedicated for X1800XT ( and is much cheaper ).

Well it's a heckuva lot quieter than that stock squirrel cage it comes with. All I really hear is the "whoosh" of the air, not that anoying hairdryer on full blast, lol.

Haven't tried clocking it yet tho.

Well it's a heckuva lot quieter than that stock squirrel cage it comes with. All I really hear is the "whoosh" of the air, not that anoying hairdryer on full blast, lol.

Haven't tried clocking it yet tho.
Get atitool; there you can change clocks and voltages for this card , no need any hard mod. Memory voltage isn't helping and most cards are stable on 900MHz+. For core you need some more voltage 1.4V should be ok for 700MHz. I was mainly testing this card lately so hard to say if will be stable on 700MHz but mine is making max 750MHz for 3DMarks on 1.475V and has temps like on stock cooler without changing voltage.

Atitool was by far the best and easier tool for ocing, cooling, and stressing the 1XXX cards. The fan control works extremely well. Sweet mod. Definitely miss my opty 165 and 1800xt setup. Though speed wise it doesn't compare to my new setup, it was the most stable comp I've ever built.

Back