• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid question about installing a cpu fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expert87

hi;
I know this sound stupid...I though about it before but after what happened I am re-thinking it.
I bought a thermatake big typhoon cpu fan and a thermal grease.
the fan is really large,,,and my question before installing it was,,,would it break the mainboard because of its weight if I leave the case standing.
Ofcourse I neglected the thought saying it is stupid and there is no way for such a thing to happen...I had to remove the cpu from the socket to clean of the old grease.
but after installing the pc failed to start properly and one of the mainboard LGA 775 pins was broken...could it be??
I know if my installing was incorrect in any step all the pins will be damaged...in this case only on pin...why?

Is an Intel CPU different than an AMD CPU in this sense? With an AMD the pins protrude from the CPU and insert down into the socket. Or do you mean the cpu socket when you say the pins touch the cpu. I'm having trouble visualizing this.

You didn't need to remove the CPU from the mobo, just clean off the stuff with qtips and alcohol. You probably damaged a spring pin on the mobo when removing/installing the chip. It happens. One minor boo boo and poof.

The Intel 755 socket has 755 tiny spring loaded pins that touch the contact points on the bottom of the CPU. New way. And the i7 sockets have 1366 pins. And they are very delicate for sure. AMD hasn't got the way more bandwidth yet, it's coming I'm sure.

You bent one, get a tiny blade and a loupe at 3x magnification and try to fix it. Otherwise, send the mobo in for repair or buy another.

Feel your pain, modders experiance.

ok so the reason was removing the cpu??...well the grease was too old that I couldn't remove it normally...had to remove the cpu and use my nails to get it out...I was absolutely sure I installed the cpu in the correct direction and found no resistance in installing...but how on earth that one single pin got broken??? "I installed the cpu with the case standing...could it be the reason to the tragic event?"

and by the way...the pin was not bent...the tip of the pin was broken...and I am searching for some one to fix it here (they don't usually fix damaged things here...just throw it and get a new one)...some one told me a jewelerest can do it "forgive my spelling"...cause they use tiny utilities and stuff...I imagine my self entering a jewelry shop with the motherboard in my hand and saying hey....fix this thing...everytime I think of it I start laughing...but hey its worth trying.

ok so the reason was removing the cpu??...well the grease was too old that I couldn't remove it normally...had to remove the cpu and use my nails to get it out...I was absolutely sure I installed the cpu in the correct direction and found no resistance in installing...but how on earth that one single pin got broken??? "I installed the cpu with the case standing...could it be the reason to the tragic event?"

and by the way...the pin was not bent...the tip of the pin was broken...and I am searching for some one to fix it here (they don't usually fix damaged things here...just throw it and get a new one)...some one told me a jewelerest can do it "forgive my spelling"...cause they use tiny utilities and stuff...I imagine my self entering a jewelry shop with the motherboard in my hand and saying hey....fix this thing...everytime I think of it I start laughing...but hey its worth trying.

Might be cheaper (and less embarrassing) to just send it to the manufacturer or get a new one.

I love middle eastern cuisine btw! :D

yeah about the RMA thing...I contacted MSI about it "ofcourse no warranty in my case so I mentioned payment and such things" but tey directed me to the local distributer "we can't help you in this matter, you have to contact your local distributer"...And believe me when I am saying they know nothing here...don't know how to fix it...don't have a replacement because my moherboard is considered as -too old- "throw and get a new one consequences"...So I'm gonna adopt with the environment and just throw mine away and get a new one :(

yeah about the RMA thing...I contacted MSI about it "ofcourse no warranty in my case so I mentioned payment and such things" but tey directed me to the local distributer "we can't help you in this matter, you have to contact your local distributer"...And believe me when I am saying they know nothing here...don't know how to fix it...don't have a replacement because my moherboard is considered as -too old- "throw and get a new one consequences"...So I'm gonna adopt with the environment and just throw mine away and get a new one :(

I know many people here would be interested in taking it off your hands and taking a look at it. when you get to 100 posts you will be able to see the classified boards, then you can make a post offering your motherboard to anyone who will pay shipping.

You;ll make someone happy, I assume, and it's bad for the environment to just throw them away.

since we are in the subject of the mainboard....what parts can be taken from a fried one?? and how to take those parts out??

to those who still follow...no one in my area was able to fix that mainboard...so i bought a new one
an evga nvidia 750i sli....and a new core2 duo processor 8400
thank you all for your help :)

Back