Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

Passive HS that scales well w/ fan?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 01:43 AM Thread Starter   #1
Ach3r0n
Disabled

Passive HS that scales well w/ fan?

Well I'm not even sold on a CPU yet but that's another thread. For the sake of this thread, let's say my CPU is an E8500 (which would be chosen due to the much lower power consumption over the Phenom II).

I was thinking of passive cooling when idle, surfing the net, watching some vids, etc. w/ an auto PWM fan as temps climb under load (when encoding video, etc). Let's assume a max OC up to 3.8GHz. The Thermalright HR-01 Plus and the Scythe Ninja are on the short list, but I thought perhaps there were some other suggestions. Also, I wondered how well those 2 scale w/ a good fan when needed. The Scythe Mugen2, Noctua NH-U12P and Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are also considerations. Any others?

I'm trying to avoid those crap pushpin mounts that so many HS manufacturers are using. I suppose I'll have to order the bolt-through kit seperately in most cases.

* Edit: Has Thermalright sorted out the QC problems I keep reading about? I keep seeing mentions of uneven contact areas, bent pipes, etc. even in mainstream reviews.

Last edited by Ach3r0n; 03-31-09 at 03:44 AM.
Ach3r0n is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-31-09, 01:50 AM   #2
zbo

I've got a copper ninja, with a e8400 @ 4Ghz it keeps it at 65c load passivly. With a fan it would be near 45-50, and that's a slow 800rpm fan. I highly recomend it.

Asus P5Q Deluxe
Corsair HX620
Gaming at 1920x1200

Last edited by zbo; 03-31-09 at 01:56 AM.
zbo is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool