• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive HS that scales well w/ fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ach3r0n

Well I'm not even sold on a CPU yet but that's another thread. :p For the sake of this thread, let's say my CPU is an E8500 (which would be chosen due to the much lower power consumption over the Phenom II).

I was thinking of passive cooling when idle, surfing the net, watching some vids, etc. w/ an auto PWM fan as temps climb under load (when encoding video, etc). Let's assume a max OC up to 3.8GHz. The Thermalright HR-01 Plus and the Scythe Ninja are on the short list, but I thought perhaps there were some other suggestions. Also, I wondered how well those 2 scale w/ a good fan when needed. The Scythe Mugen2, Noctua NH-U12P and Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are also considerations. Any others?

I'm trying to avoid those crap pushpin mounts that so many HS manufacturers are using. I suppose I'll have to order the bolt-through kit seperately in most cases.

* Edit: Has Thermalright sorted out the QC problems I keep reading about? I keep seeing mentions of uneven contact areas, bent pipes, etc. even in mainstream reviews.

Last edited:
I've got a copper ninja, with a e8400 @ 4Ghz it keeps it at 65c load passivly. With a fan it would be near 45-50, and that's a slow 800rpm fan. I highly recomend it.

Last edited:
Back