• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 overheating problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackloup

Hi all,
I bought a E8400 3 months ago and I have a huge problem, when i'm on windows it stays around 30-35 and sometime 40 celsius but when i'm starting a game (any game like AOE2!) it can climbs up to 90-100 celsius!! I didn't realised it until the PC closed in my face which i doubt is really good... Someone told me it could be a voltage thing problem, so I got some Info for you in screenshot

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1447/026qjm.jpg

Thx in advandce if you can help me :(

i would check that your heatsink is mounted correctly, check that the fan is working.

and Welcome!

What heatsink/fan are you using? What about the GPU? Ambient heat (from the GPU for example) inside the case could be causing issues.

There's definitely a mount problem. The heatsink is making poor contact with the CPU, there's no other way a CPU at stock clocks/voltages would see 80c+ temps.

I just bought that cpu too....I am using a thermatake big typhoon to cool it...it stays at 30-31 when idle and 37 while playing crysis warhead at full quality (1024*768)
my older cpu (pentium D) used to go up to 70 at such games with stock cooling.
anyhow..I would diffenetly change the cpu fan in your case,,,and put some new thermal grease on it..."don't remove the cpu like I did...I lost a motherboard because of that"

Back