• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE ultra-120 extreme lga1366 horizontal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnguyen1022

Registered
Has anybody put their TRUE ultra-120 heatsink horizontal? Or is it absolute that I must put it standing vertically only? I have a haf932 case. If you did put it horizontally, howd you do it? Thanks!

By horizontal do you mean facing the top of the case as opposed to the back of the case?

Last edited:
By horizontal do you mean facing the top of the case as opposed to the back of the case?

Yes. I find the heatsink might be too heavy to have it horizontal, but I'm sure someone has figured out a genius way to lessen the stress on the mobo/cpu.

Yes. I find the heatsink might be too heavy to have it horizontal, but I'm sure someone has figured out a genius way to lessen the stress on the mobo/cpu.

I'm still not tracking with your here. Are you asking if it matters if you lay the case down flat (horizontal?) so that the TRUE is perpendicular to the floor? Are you using a desktop case or a tower case?

I'm still not tracking with your here. Are you asking if it matters if you lay the case down flat (horizontal?) so that the TRUE is perpendicular to the floor? Are you using a desktop case or a tower case?

I'm not asking if it matters, I'm asking if there is a way to take off some of the stress from the mobo just like bing did in his HHH link. I am using the HAF932 case...The case will be standing like the way it was made to be. The motherboard placed as it normally should. And the TRUE on top of the CPU like it should be. That should make it parallel to the ground. That position however causes me to worry because it might cause the mobo to bend. So I am asking if there are methods of taking off some of the weight on the motherboard.

Bing's idea is great! Did anybody else come up with interesting ideas?

Most people just use a bolt-thru kit w. a backplate and let'er hang. Get creative with whatever you have lying around if you are concerned about it. Never heard a report of a heavy heatsink actually breaking away from a mobo (yet).

The TRUE mounts with a back plate that goes under the motherboard. This helps stiffen the area of the board where the cpu is located and spreads the stress out over a wider area. Shouldn't be a problem. You have to remove the plastic heat sink retention bracket that comes stock on the motherboard, however, as the back plate uses the same holes. Its normal for the motherboard to flex some under the weight of a heavy cooler like the TRUE but I haven't heard of any breaking. Just don't let the computer tip over on the floor after installation.

mine's mounted horizontally due to the fact that heat rises. Though the TRUE is pretty heavy it doesn't bend my mobo at all. Silicone is surprisinly stiff and resilient.

Back