• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a source for push-pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lyle

I need a source for some spring-loaded push-pins, you know the type that hold heatsinks onto chipsets and GPU's. Anyone got a recommendation?

Never seen them advertised as new. I would suggest to look at who in you area might have faulty MBs and Video cards laying around to scavange them from. Do you have any 2nd hand computer sellers that you can ask??

just use nuts and bolts, way easier to remove and you can get better mounting pressure

Bolt through kits FTW guys, push pins are not good at all. Just look at an Intel stock cooler.

What are they being used on if I might ask?

I'm using them for stock chipset heatsinks which I have replaced for better performing hardware. I'll reinstall the stock sink when I get rid of the boards, and keep the chipset coolers.

I think the pins at performance-pcs are close enough. I've used similar pins over the years and they'll work OK, I mean, it's a stock chipset heatsink.

Bolt through kits FTW guys, push pins are not good at all. Just look at an Intel stock cooler.
I think it depends on what you're using them for. My Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is mounted with pushpins, and it does a great job of cooling my Q6600 at 3.4 GHz. Now, I've been told that the Core i7 runs much hotter, so a backplate mounting is recommended. (Though I'd still love to see some type of evidence that pushpin mounting results in significantly higher temperatures than backplate mounting.) Those spring-loaded pushpins require a significant amount of force to engage, so I have a hard time believing that there's not sufficient pressure between the heatsink and IHS.

Back